Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenDesktop.org Acquired By KDE-Loving Blue Systems

Phoronix: OpenDesktop.org Acquired By KDE-Loving Blue Systems

OpenDesktop.org, the network of sites like KDE-Look, KDE-Apps.org, GNOME-Look.org, and others, has been acquired by Blue Systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Strange. Who'd even want those sites? They are pretty rotten and in an awful state with tacky ads plastered everywhere. They look and feel like something straight out of 2005 with spam comments, broken links, and ton of outdated 1024x768 wallpapers. I always thought they were kind of an embarrassment. Really surprised anyone even wants that mess other than spam advertisers. Maybe Blue Systems can revive them, but those sites are going to have to be burnt to the ground and rebuilt from the ground up.

Comment

I think DeviantArt is much better than opendesktop.org ...

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
        Strange. Who'd even want those sites? They are pretty rotten and in an awful state with tacky ads plastered everywhere. They look and feel like something straight out of 2005 with spam comments, broken links, and ton of outdated 1024x768 wallpapers. I always thought they were kind of an embarrassment. Really surprised anyone even wants that mess other than spam advertisers. Maybe Blue Systems can revive them, but those sites are going to have to be burnt to the ground and rebuilt from the ground up.

The value is in the domain, not the existing infrastructure.

Comment

Sometimes I wonder, what is the main revenue point of Blue System? They have done a lot for community but it seems just a one way work. I am interested in how they keep up the support without any business revenue?

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
            Sometimes I wonder, what is the main revenue point of Blue System? They have done a lot for community but it seems just a one way work. I am interested in how they keep up the support without any business revenue?
            Being the son of a rich business magnate, their CEO probably has a somewhat comfortable financial cushion.

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
              Ok the site seems a little aged with its KDE3 look & feel, but it is updated daily and shows interressant threads. If Blue System gives it a "modern UI" it will be ok.
              Concerning the ads, there is only 3... nothing to complain about imo.

Comment

I use these sites for themes. And regardless of what you all think, some themes (and good ones at that) can only be found there. I agree that the site feels aged and awkward and can probably use a makeover. On the other hand I have found Deviant art to be less to my liking and lacks many themes ... unless you use Windows. Searching, at least for me, never turns up much of anything on Deviant.

Seeing as there really aren't that many places to get Themes for Linux, I don't even know why you guys are complaining. You should be happy, unless you are not a Linux user.

Comment

adblock by default does not block responsible text-only ads like google ones, so if you complain about blocked ads it means you've chosen wrong ads

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    adblock by default does not block responsible text-only ads like google ones, so if you complain about blocked ads it means you've chosen wrong ads
                    and text-only ads make next to nothing... if going to text-only ads, I would be bankrupt.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X