Microsoft's JavaScript Engine Code Released, Wants To Port It To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft's JavaScript Engine Code Released, Wants To Port It To Linux

Phoronix: Microsoft's JavaScript Engine Code Released, Wants To Port It To Linux

Last month Microsoft announced they would open-source their JavaScript engine and this week they've honored their word by releasing CharkaCore on GitHub...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Next news: Internet explorer ported to linux!
    Developer of Ultracopier/CatchChallenger and CEO of Confiared

Comment

Originally posted by alpha_one_x86 View Post
      Next news: Internet explorer ported to linux!
      I doubt it as MS are phasing it out. I could see them potentially open sourcing the Edge browser at some point in the future though.

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post

I doubt it as MS are phasing it out. I could see them potentially open sourcing the Edge browser at some point in the future though.
        Porting Edge to Linux is unlikely. Microsoft seldom open sources application software.
        The Edge is part of Windows to give the Windows user experience.
        Microsoft usually open sources libraries, not application software.
        They might open source the Trident HTML engine though.

Comment

Edge uses its own HTML rendering engine doesn't it? It would be nice if they would open it up; would love to try a browser with Edge's new HTML renderer on an alternative operating system.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Porting Edge to Linux is unlikely. Microsoft seldom open sources application software.
            They don't necessarily need to open source it to port it to linux

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post

I doubt it as MS are phasing it out.
              They can't. Many existing applications depend on it, and MS doesn't like breaking backwards compatibility. Second, Edge is metro-only, and will never run on any decent operating system, unless MS decides to re-write it from scratch. That's unlikely. Edge will remain a toy on mobile phones and computers that believe that they're mobile phones.

Comment

Why the only the JS engine? Do they want the community to fix it? Do they plan to use it to make a NodeJS competitor?

Comment

After the open-source alternatives have become a lot better and their closed-source implementation has become the worst in the industry, they decide to open-source it... In hope people will make it better for them?

Comment

Sounds great!

Guys, can't understand those complaints about Microsoft open-sourcing their software, not so long ago people were whining about them NOT open-sourcing it

Comment

Working...
                    X