Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3 Is Soon Turning Five Years Old: How Are You Liking It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3 Is Soon Turning Five Years Old: How Are You Liking It?

Phoronix: GNOME 3 Is Soon Turning Five Years Old: How Are You Liking It?

Come April it will be five years since the release of GNOME 3.0. The GNOME desktop has certainly evolved a lot since going back to GNOME 3.0, but what do you think of it?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I like Gnome3 and did from the beginning - I never really got on with Gnome 2. The new features, in particular, the System Settings panel and Software installation tool, are all awesome.

I'd like there to be a "Themes" option though - it is just too different from the Windows 95 layout for a drop-in replacement for noobs. I need to be able to just put it in front of someone who has previously used Windows and they need to be able to fire up LibreOffice and Chrome, to be productive on day 1. That is: Taskbar with window switcher on the bottom. A Start menu (which is probably the best thing that Microsoft ever did for computers).

You know - what a computer was before a bunch of Arts School dropouts "blinged up that dopey old WIMP thing" and we got Windows 8 Metro everywhere...

Comment

This was just clickbait . I hate Gnome 3, its bloated and ugly. Linux deserves a better desktop something on the lines on Windows10 would be nice. KdePlasma/Gnome 3 dont appeal to me. Gnome3 is minimalistic still not snappy. Kde's UI is not intuitive. Mate/Xfce4 with Numix themes is good enough for a fast desktop but it dont feel "modern" but that works for me.

Comment

I was a 100% KDE guy since when I started to use linux in the previous millennium, but was never happy with the KDE 4.x series. So I switched to Unity for half a year, before settling on Fedora 20 and Gnome. At the moment I am very happy with the UI and technical direction Gnome and Fedora are taking. Great job!

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
          This was just clickbait . I hate Gnome 3, its bloated and ugly. Linux deserves a better desktop something on the lines on Windows10 would be nice.
          This....ugh.

Comment

I switched to XFCE 4.1x with Fedora 20 (and now Fedora 22) and plan to stay with it. The GUI is easy to use, the tools look the way I like them to look (for the past decade and more). I also look forward to lxqt which might be an interesting alternative to XFCE. Maybe for Fedora 24 or 26 (I usually switch with even numbers). The advantage of going with lxqt one day is because more and more Tools switch their toolkit from GTK to Qt.

Comment

I liked Gnome2 (and earlier), hate Gnome3. I switched to KDE after struggling with Gnome3 for about 18 months. Never been happier, and Plasma 5.5.3 is great.

Comment

I use Gnome3 at home and at work, I like it a lot

Comment

WHY would they add an additional step to access the most used feature on a desktop : switching to another window.

I kinda like GNOME 3 except for this. I use Ubuntu Unity because at least I can switch to the window I want in a single click. I do it so many times a day that two successive actions is too much. Every single commercial OS I ever known since Windows 95 has a directly accessible task bar or dock, for a good reason.

Just a visible dock/taskbar with open windows, and a good search feature. Beyond that, it honesty just has to be classy.

Comment

A long tima ago I was using KDE3..

When KDE4 got released and KDE3 abandonned, I switched to Gnome2...

When Glome3 got released, I switched to xfce, lxde, E17*.

KDE3 was perfect, KDE4 was heavier and did have less feature.
                    Gnome2 was perfect, Gnome3 is heavier and slower than gnome2 and don't like the way it work anymore.

Also, I'm not using a composer.

Comment

Working...
                    X