Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIMP Gets A New Light Theme

Phoronix: GIMP Gets A New Light Theme

Alongside a lot of other exciting work for GIMP 2.10 is a new light theme for those wanting a brighter experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally GIMP doesn't look like complete crap.

Comment

Honestly, it looks like shit. It's just 3 shades of grey, none of which are what I would consider "light". The standard GIMP theme is brighter than this garbage. Flatter UI? I'm down. Actually OK padding everywhere? Awesome! But the greys that they chose are freaking ugly. And not light, contradicting the theme name.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        Honestly, it looks like shit. It's just 3 shades of grey, none of which are what I would consider "light". The standard GIMP theme is brighter than this garbage. Flatter UI? I'm down. Actually OK padding everywhere? Awesome! But the greys that they chose are freaking ugly. And not light, contradicting the theme name.
        Whit "Light" I think they mean it's the Light version of the future theme. There'll probably be a Dark version.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          As xeekei said, the obvious misnomer will probably be explained in due course - 2.9 is the development branch, after all.

You also want the UI to be as achromatic as possible. Once the designers start slipping hues into their bling it skews your colour perception and tricks you into messing up your images. Haven't you noticed all the serious image processing UIs are "just <n> shades of grey"?

There's always the surprisingly competent TuxPaint ( http://tuxpaint.org/ ) for the kiddies and magpies to play in.
          Last edited by Dick Palmer; 17 January 2016, 03:58 PM. Reason: link wrangling

Comment

While I think the theme looks elegant I am still very against this kind of user interface crap going on these days. Why all the large fonts, insane padding, thick borders, indistinguishable buttons / text, weird menus etc.... A program should follow a standard user interface setup and if you like to change theme/colors you should be able to configure yourself to hell and back from a system-gui-preferences-per-application-setting!

Why should programs care about what color somebody want on their button? Go to preferences->guiconfig->someprogram->buttoncolor instead! - why do not toolkits have a per.application tuning setup?!

If you don't want any ridiculous theme, font, menu, padding or whatever you should instead be able to do this on the system.
            I miss the good old days with Amiga where programs looks MOSTLY consistent. People where obviously smarter back then!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Palmer View Post
              You also want the UI to be as achromatic as possible. Once the designers start slipping hues into their bling it skews your colour perception and tricks you into messing up your images. Haven't you noticed all the serious image processing UIs are "just <n> shades of grey"?
              Ah, I think I was misinterpreted. I like achromatic UIs. White > grey > black, it's all great and all... but those exact shades of grey they chose are absolutely horrid. It would have been better if they had just used several variations of slightly off-white greys instead. Or even White itself haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Palmer View Post
                You also want the UI to be as achromatic as possible. Once the designers start slipping hues into their bling it skews your colour perception and tricks you into messing up your images.
                YES. not being sure of the color of window borders and etc is surprisingly annoying!
                I use light, medium-contrast greyscale images for desktop backgrounds for that reason.

Comment

Ouch, welcome back to the 90's... A grey interface can be elegant, but here it just looks ugly IMO.

Anyway Gimp is an awesome tool, I won't stop using it for that.

Comment

Just plain ol' gray is fine. I'm not using Gimp to look at the color scheme. As long as it's neutral, it works for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X