Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HTTPS Turned On By Default For Premium Members

Phoronix: HTTPS Turned On By Default For Premium Members

As there have been a number of readers inquiring about it recently, HTTPS support is now enabled by default, assuming you are a premium members...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd glad turn off ad block on your site if it wasn't for the obnoxious full screen pop up ads. Its annoying enough on a desktop computer, it makes it miserable to unusable on a mobile device. I understand the financial considerations that go into ads and subscribers. But tone it down some.

Comment

Originally posted by redcommiebastard View Post
      I'd glad turn off ad block on your site if it wasn't for the obnoxious full screen pop up ads. Its annoying enough on a desktop computer, it makes it miserable to unusable on a mobile device. I understand the financial considerations that go into ads and subscribers. But tone it down some.
      At most there is a 'welcome screen' ad once per 24 hours on desktop. This shouldn't happen ever on mobile devices. If it happens to you on a mobile device, please send a screenshot and ideally a URL of the ad so I can figure out what it is to block, since right now I have it not set to do welcome screen ads on mobile devices unless there is some rogue advertiser inserting one... Also, what platform / phone are you using?
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm a premium member, but for obvious reasons I don't want to have to login everytime I visit phoronix and I don't want to be logged in when I'm merely reading some news. That said, the decision so not let non-premium members use the HTTPS by default indicates that you don't care a flying fuck about internet privacy or security, and have now convinced me that this site is no longer worthy of future premium subscribtions.

Sorry, but these things matter too much to be taken lightly.

Comment

I use iOS on iPhone. I use Mac OS X, *BSD and Linux on the desktop across several computers. Firefox, Safari, Chrome, etc. I hadn't seen any ads on my iPhone since updating the iOS 9 and enabling content blocking. I'm inclined to continue to use content blocking on my phone. Beyond removing the unwanted ads, I use less data and its greatly sped up browsing on my data connection. I'll unblock your site on my desktop. I'll see if I can capture a screenshot on my phone. I'll turn off content blocking sometime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Silverblood View Post
            I'm a premium member, but for obvious reasons I don't want to have to login everytime I visit phoronix and I don't want to be logged in when I'm merely reading some news. That said, the decision so not let non-premium members use the HTTPS by default indicates that you don't care a flying fuck about internet privacy or security, and have now convinced me that this site is no longer worthy of future premium subscribtions.

Sorry, but these things matter too much to be taken lightly.
            As explained already, the main Phoronix.com web server is already getting hammered enough that it barely has any extra CPU cycles to spare.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

As explained already, the main Phoronix.com web server is already getting hammered enough that it barely has any extra CPU cycles to spare.

Come on Michael... Excuses. A free tier Cloudflare account (for instance) can terminate HTTPS for you and take a ton of load off of your server.

Comment

Originally posted by starcrossed View Post

Come on Michael... Excuses. A free tier Cloudflare account (for instance) can terminate HTTPS for you and take a ton of load off of your server.
                And when I was running CloudFlare for a period of time last year to evaluate, people were complaining that CloudFlare isn't free software, CloudFlare will prompt you a message if you're connecting from a Tor exit node to make sure you are human, and other complaints along those lines.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

And when I was running CloudFlare for a period of time last year to evaluate, people were complaining that CloudFlare isn't free software, CloudFlare will prompt you a message if you're connecting from a Tor exit node to make sure you are human, and other complaints along those lines.
                  Phoronix.com isn't free software either. It's impossible to please everyone. You'll always get complaints from one group or another. You just need to choose which to ignore. It's your site after all.

Comment

Interesting. Well to the naysayers, Cloudflare is a managed service, not software, not unlike EC2 or Heroku. They contribute back to the open source community where appropriate. Heck, they wrote most of the golang SSL stack.

If you're having to choose between unencrypted traffic and no TOR pop-up, or encrypted traffic and a TOR pop-up, I think the only sane option is to take the pop up. Sure, it's more in your face than no HTTPS... But mostly this whole thread has made me realize that Phoronix isn't running on HTTPS! Holy crap! :-( What year is it?? If you want to run 100% your own infrastructure and 100% your own hardware with no cloud services? Go ahead, but at least do as good of a job as free tier Heroku app.

Comment

Working...
                    X