Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetworkManager 1.2 Improves WiFi Scanning

Phoronix: NetworkManager 1.2 Improves WiFi Scanning

Beyond NetworkManager 1.2 having a MAC address randomization feature, WiFi scanning has also been improved...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yeah. Besides the Network admin trying hunt everyone mac address randomizing with buckshots, he will now also be using other utensils to "fix" the wifi-scanners too.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      NetworkManager is a shit software like pulseaudio and gnome desktop ui. When networkmanager gets broken, easiest fix is to install os again. Also networkmanager uses notifications from bottom to top of the software stack and user has no control to the network hardware. Wicd works other way and should be used as default in the linux distributions, but that will not happen when Redhat and gnome exists.

So funny and so true :-(

Comment

->debianxfce: Your personal opinion. I never noticed any system-touching funcional failure of networkmanager (both Arch and Manjaro). Some troubles are due an agens between a chair and a keyboard...

Comment

NetworkManager works perfectly fine for me. It's a major reason that kernel drivers have been improved over the last 10+ years. Note that it should be totally obvious, but for the idiots here: Lennart didn't write nor maintain NetworkManager.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
            Yeah. Besides the Network admin trying hunt everyone mac address
            Let feed 'em some random stuff. Also could be wise idea to scan the air around, grab MAC of ... some device and assign it to self. Let NSA go nuts.

Comment

NetworkManager is a shit software like pulseaudio and gnome desktop ui.
              Nobody forces you to use it. Yet, connecting wi-fi AP without it can be quite a pain to my taste. Sure, you can do it other way... but at the end of day, selecting AP from list in system tray is much easier, dammit. And its nice it started to care about privacy on its own. Because I had to change MAC system-wide, by hooking things in udev, right when interface appears. NM proven to be quick bitch and sometimes manages to UP interface right when I've been changing MAC. So I had to use quite fancy sequencing, getting rid of NM by systemd first and then changing MAC in trouble-free manner.

Comment

I like network manager, it worked well before and now even better.
                My main problems on wifi are all dated from before NM, I do not understand why some bash it.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
                  Yeah. Besides the Network admin trying hunt everyone mac address randomizing with buckshots,
                  If you actually read the linked articles, you would have known that you are wrong. The MAC randomization isn't for when connecting to an AP, but only for scanning for AP's. That way the machine doesn't leak information like the real hardware MAC to AP's the machine has no intention of connecting to. That makes it harder for commercial entities and NSA etc. to track people.
                  NM also implemented RFC7217 to make IP tracking harder too. I like it when developers add security and privacy measures like that.

Comment

NetworkManager is a shit software like pulseaudio...
                    Both NM and PA were vast improvement over anything existing at the time, and today nothing comes close with regard to features. With PA sound is basically a solved problem on Linux, and NM really shines for networking in changing environments.

When networkmanager gets broken, easiest fix is to install os again.
                    Don't confuse your really weak Linux and admin skills with NM problems.

The funny thing is of course, that removing entire entire software stack and config files is the recommended way to solve certain problems with Wicd on eg. Arch Linux:
                    "D-Bus connection error message

If wicd suddenly stopped working and it complains about D-Bus, it is quite likely that you just need to remove wicd fully, including and all its configuration files, and re-install it from scratch:"

Also networkmanager uses notifications from bottom to top of the software stack and user has no control to the network hardware.
                    Unbelievable amount of pure nonsense. Seems to me you don't know how the Linux kernel deals with hardware and networking.
                    And you have total control over NM through config files and CLI utils, no problem there. Try reading the NM man-pages someday.

Wicd works other way
                    Wicd uses d-bus and kernel features etc. exactly like NM.

and should be used as default in the linux distributions, but that will not happen when Redhat and gnome exists.
                    I don't use Gnome, but I am grateful that they somehow prevents you from dictating that Wicd should be default on all Linux distros.

<image>
                    Oh yeah, more personal attacks against named Open Source Linux developers. Pretty much sums up why almost all developers have left the non-systemd camp; who wants to work for a toxic group of haters.

Comment

Working...
                    X