Hutterer: Is Wayland Ready Yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hutterer: Is Wayland Ready Yet?

Phoronix: Hutterer: Is Wayland Ready Yet?

Linux input expert Peter Hutterer at Red Hat has followed up with another blog post since his X.Org project vs. X.Org Foundation post from a few days ago. Today he looks at the question of "is Wayland ready yet?"..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As soon as auto-rotation with iio-sensor-proxy works (maybe it does already?), the onscreen keyboard works, and gamma control arrives, Wayland could be pretty nice in my case.

Comment

That's a lot of words to say no.
      Some very welcome clarifications, but it's clear that you're going to miss some stuff from X if you switch to Wayland today. That's not even unexpected, I'm not sure why most people act like Wayland should have been production ready after a couple of years in development. If you need a foundation for the next 30 years, it needs to be solid. And that takes time.

Comment

It looks like they finally agreed on a pointer confinement and locking protocol, which now will be implemented to check the real world feedback. I'd love to see this finalized and stable in Gnome 3.20, but that's probably asking for too much.

Comment

now if only Michael would read the contents and put facts right on his next test of games on wayland... one can hope

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            That's a lot of words to say no.
            Some very welcome clarifications, but it's clear that you're going to miss some stuff from X if you switch to Wayland today. That's not even unexpected, I'm not sure why most people act like Wayland should have been production ready after a couple of years in development. If you need a foundation for the next 30 years, it needs to be solid. And that takes time.
            5 years is quite long IMO (+2 if you include the brainstorming/concepting). I hope it won't have to wait another 5 (+2) to become mainstream.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post

5 years is quite long IMO (+2 if you include the brainstorming/concepting). I hope it won't have to wait another 5 (+2) to become mainstream.
              Why? What makes you think all the software today will suddenly start working on Wayland?
              KDE4, 5, Gnome3 each took about 2-3 years from their initial showing till they became stable enough for most users (KDE5 is still not there). Why would you expect Wayland to take less than that?

Now don't get me wrong, I wish some magic/strategic thinking will resolve what's left to be resolved in one fell swoop so we can all start enjoying Wayland. I'm just not expecting it.

Somewhat unrelated: would you want Wayland implementations stabilized today using EGL, with Vulkan just around the corner? Even if it's easy to switch the acceleration layer, that's still work that will need to be done and it's work that cannot be started today.

Comment

I'm using Wayland with Gnome 3.18 since a couple of months back and it works OK. Still several issues, so I switch back to X11 every now and then. Especially regarding pointer confinement, L4D2 is hard to play without it

Comment

Still no tablet support? I am very disappoint

Comment

Useless post, it's obvious that when someone asks if Wayland is ready yet they mean the protocol, Gnome/KDE as well as frameworks and applications.
                    When I ask about some new hardware I don't care if it exists as a prototype somewhere, what I care about is if I can order it, get it delivered and if there are drivers available.

In human languages you make simplifications because people understand what you talk about anyway, you don't go down and specify every little aspect of what you are saying.

Comment

Working...
                    X