Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 3.5 Through Linux 4.4 Kernel Benchmarks: A 19-Way Kernel Showdown Shows Some Regressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.5 Through Linux 4.4 Kernel Benchmarks: A 19-Way Kernel Showdown Shows Some Regressions

Phoronix: Linux 3.5 Through Linux 4.4 Kernel Benchmarks: A 19-Way Kernel Showdown Shows Some Regressions

What better way to spend a cold Friday morning than looking at some kernel benchmarks, so up for your viewing pleasure today are benchmarks of every kernel major release going from the Linux 3.5 kernel up through the latest Linux 4.4 stable kernel release. All the tests were done on the same system and there are actually some interesting performance changes to note with these Linux kernel tests going back to the summer of 2012.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

4.4 kernel seems a very good kernel.

Comment

Michael, Any chance you could add SmallPT?

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by imperfectlink View Post
        Michael, Any chance you could add SmallPT?

Cheers.
        Sort of late now to do that.

Or if you mean as part of the Phoronix Test Suite / Openbenchmarking.org, smallpt has been already available for benchmarking via there for like 5+ years.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
          4.4 kernel seems a very good kernel.
          Agreed. Still waiting for the Liquorix build of 4.4 though.

Comment

Michael,
            This is quite informative, spanning such a large number of kernels. Excellent work! It would be interesting to see:
            1) benchmarks involving "other" items: GUI (X), Audio, Video. {yes, I realize this is quite the undertaking}
            2) Similar comparison between FreeBSD 8.x, 9.x, 10.2 (Extended support versions of the kernels) on the Phoronix Test Suite. . . To compare vs. Linux versions.

Thanks for the work.
            Regards

Comment

Originally posted by EmbeddedSteve View Post
              Michael,
              This is quite informative, spanning such a large number of kernels. Excellent work! It would be interesting to see:
              1) benchmarks involving "other" items: GUI (X), Audio, Video. {yes, I realize this is quite the undertaking}
              Available benchmarks are listed here http://openbenchmarking.org/tests/pts
              tests that aren't listed there you'd like to see, patches / new test profile scripts welcome.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

wow, i would never have expected the purely cpu based computational benchmarks (such as kernel compilation) to differ that much.

Comment

I'd go with the 2-year-old Linux 3.13 kernel had I stayed with radeonsi and don't care for Bioshock infinite or Metro, but then I'm currently running Linux 4.1 with RT patches (low latency music creation).

Weird. I got an error message in the forum, but did not read it. Heh...

Comment

4.4 is a good kernel no doubt

Comment

Working...
                    X