Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Foundation Issues Statement Concerning Community Directors

Phoronix: Linux Foundation Issues Statement Concerning Community Directors

A few days ago it was pointed out that The Linux Foundation updated their by-laws and no longer allows individual members to elect directors. That news obviously caused a fair bit of controversy in the online community for several reasons...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So pointing your finger at a woman = sexist? Come on, I don't know the full story here but I didn't see anything to justify the word "sexist" people toss words at other people, male or female is of no relevance.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      So pointing your finger at a woman = sexist? Come on, I don't know the full story here but I didn't see anything to justify the word "sexist" people toss words at other people, male or female is of no relevance.
      There have been a few explicitly misogynistic mails and blog posts, e.g. on 'Vox Populi'.
      Sorry for not linking to it, but I have no intention of giving that site even the slightest boost in Google's rankings.

Initially I was sceptical about the trend towards "codes of conduct", but the number of disgusting, paranoid rants about "SJWs" coming out of the woodwork in response suggest that there's an actual problem to address.

Comment

I agree with every move of the Foundation. It's a private entity, founded by companies, and who pays can do whatever the hell they want. Karen Sandler is doing well, in my opinion.

The only thing that I found unnecessary was that remark Jim made about sexism... like, are you serious? This is a PR announcement, for god's sake, not a tumblr thread.

Comment

I saw nothing misogynistic at Vox Popoli.

There is certainly a trend of SJW entryism in the tech industry, and obviously for the sake of self-preservation it needs to be killed at the onset.

Comment

The Linux Foundation serves corporate interests? Who would have thought?
            And what the hell do "SJWs" have to do with corporate interests....

EDIT: oh, I see now... people ITT are defending the fact that the LF serves corporate interests, and attacking Karen Sandler for representing the contrary.
            LOL @ these retarded corporate drones. You should become prostitutes, I heard they make loads of money (by selling their bodies, but who cares, it's money, isn't it?)!
            Last edited by asdfblah; 22 January 2016, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

I don't think its that. Its the fear that someone who is associated with Free Software is going to be there and that scares businesses who love permissive licenses so they are not forced to contribute code back and keep the improvements to themselves.

Comment

Anti-SJW has gone too far. There are 0 female developers left.

As for the linux foundation i will just quote asdfblah

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
                The Linux Foundation serves corporate interests? Who would have thought?
                Last edited by zuxun; 22 January 2016, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
                  There have been a few explicitly misogynistic mails and blog posts, e.g. on 'Vox Populi'.
                  Sorry for not linking to it, but I have no intention of giving that site even the slightest boost in Google's rankings.
                  Pointing at a site that isn't even a tech site, but instead a political blog, doesn't justify a remark about misogyny within the context of open source. I can go across the internet and cherry pick opinions from any side I wanted, but that doesn't mean that people who believe that time is a cube are a problem or even necessarily even a thing in open source.

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
                  Initially I was sceptical about the trend towards "codes of conduct", but the number of disgusting, paranoid rants about "SJWs" coming out of the woodwork in response suggest that there's an actual problem to address.
                  Except that Social Justice bigots actually are a real problem. Contributors and maintainers have been actively chased away by Social Justice bigots from projects for having opinions and political views that they did not agree with and expressing them on places not affiliated with the project they're working on, such as twitter. It really shouldn't matter what you think, regardless of whether that's that time is a cube, or you hate jews or women or whatever, as long as it doesn't come up in the actual project itself and you're not acting in a discriminatory fashion inside of the context of the project. Or to put it another way... as long as you "Shut up and code".

Comment

I didn't read anything in that LF announcement that actually said they'd listened to objections and subsequently changed anything. Therefore the new policy sticks, and it has become a industry body without community representation?

Comment

Working...
                    X