No announcement yet.

Remote Wayland Preview, GNOME 3.20 / Fedora 24 Is Shaping Up Well For Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Wayland Preview, GNOME 3.20 / Fedora 24 Is Shaping Up Well For Wayland

Phoronix: Remote Wayland Preview, GNOME 3.20 / Fedora 24 Is Shaping Up Well For Wayland

Matthias Clasen has written a status update concerning the state of GNOME 3.20 on Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wayland itself aside, when I tried gnome with wayland on arch I had a problem with xwayland not properly working, in all applications I had problems with the mouse cursor disappearing in xwayland, and i recall having some issues specifically with google chrome as well (something about window resizing or minimizing most likely) it is probably the most crucial part of any wayland desktop right now to have tip top xwayland support due to the fact that the vast majority of applications users will run are in fact going to be X applications.

But that remote desktop viewing is impressive. The video is a bit choppy though I would like a higher quality recording, just to display how well the streaming works (Does it perform as well as say steam's in-home streaming? is it responsive and latency free enough for actual game streaming? can it be used to stream movies between computers? etc,)

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      Wayland itself aside, when I tried gnome with wayland on arch I had a problem with xwayland not properly working, in all applications I had problems with the mouse cursor disappearing in xwayland, and i recall having some issues specifically with google chrome as well (something about window resizing or minimizing most likely) it is probably the most crucial part of any wayland desktop right now to have tip top xwayland support due to the fact that the vast majority of applications users will run are in fact going to be X applications.

But that remote desktop viewing is impressive. The video is a bit choppy though I would like a higher quality recording, just to display how well the streaming works (Does it perform as well as say steam's in-home streaming? is it responsive and latency free enough for actual game streaming? can it be used to stream movies between computers? etc,)

All of the mentioned XWayland issues have been fixed in xorg git. They are in both master and server-1.18 branch, so it should be available in xorg-server-1.18.1. You can always poke Arch package maintainer to include them into Archlinux package.

This is about the issue you are complaining. There are couple more xwayland related fixes.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post

All of the mentioned XWayland issues have been fixed in xorg git. They are in both master and server-1.18 branch, so it should be available in xorg-server-1.18.1. You can always poke Arch package maintainer to include them into Archlinux package.

This is about the issue you are complaining. There are couple more xwayland related fixes.
          Good to know, admittedly I'm talking about 2 months ago, arch repos have probably updated, they tend to be exceptionally up to date after all with most packages. But my problems with Google Chrome on xwayland, I don't remember details, but I remember that switching between various wayland compositors I had very different results, some did not have a problem the former did, but had a different one instead, never found one where it all just worked. I'll be trying this all again soon enough.

But Istill would like to know how wayland remote desktop streaming compares to other solutions.

Comment

Maybe this is a stupid question, but if I want to build support for Wayland into my own software, how do I go about it? Is there a lib with Wayland functions? Is there an API description somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by hansg View Post
              Maybe this is a stupid question, but if I want to build support for Wayland into my own software, how do I go about it? Is there a lib with Wayland functions? Is there an API description somewhere?
              Afaik you normally don't but you instead use a toolkit. The expectation is toolkits are refactored to be such that their user need not care whether running on Wayland or X

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

Afaik you normally don't but you instead use a toolkit. The expectation is toolkits are refactored to be such that their user need not care whether running on Wayland or X
                I _maintain_ a toolkit. How do the other toolkit maintainers learn about Wayland? Don't tell me it's by telepathy...

Comment

Originally posted by hansg View Post

I _maintain_ a toolkit. How do the other toolkit maintainers learn about Wayland? Don't tell me it's by telepathy...
                  Documentation: http://wayland.freedesktop.org/docs/html/

From a toolkit, you'll want to the use the Client API. The Server API is used for implementing compositors.

Code: http://wayland.freedesktop.org/releases.html

From what i understand, the Wayland code is 2 libs that are mostly just generated C code based off the xml spec file. They handle the IPC between each other (libwayland-client and libwayland-server).

You'd probably be smart to take a look at the QT or GTK codebase as well to see how they interface with Wayland. It's all open source.
                  Last edited by smitty3268; 23 January 2016, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Documentation: http://wayland.freedesktop.org/docs/html/

From a toolkit, you'll want to the use the Client API. The Server API is used for implementing compositors.

Code: http://wayland.freedesktop.org/releases.html

From what i understand, the Wayland code is 2 libs that are mostly just generated C code based off the xml spec file. They handle the IPC between each other (libwayland-client and libwayland-server).

You'd probably be smart to take a look at the QT or GTK codebase as well to see how they interface with Wayland. It's all open source.
                    Great, thanks! That is most helpful :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X