Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Xbox One Controller Support For Linux 4.5

Phoronix: Better Xbox One Controller Support For Linux 4.5

Last week was the big input driver updates sent in for the Linux 4.5 kernel while ending out this week was another update that included some work to the XPad driver that supports the Xbox controllers and more on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It was authored by Valve and only included in their steamos_kernel tree. The contribution to the official Linux kernel however was not done by Valve. http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-input/msg41266.html

Comment

It is a nice controller. I have one and its ergonomics are really nice. In Linux the only problem are some games that only accept joypads in a white-list, even if their drivers are ok. This is happening in the Unity Engine based games, and is pretty annoying. Almost all the other games work fine with the Xbox One Controller.

There is a workaround that you can do. Open Steam in the Big Picture mode and plug-in the controller. Now the input for the games are handled by Steam and the game theoretically will accept any controller recognized by the Big Picture mode. You can go out to your desktop after that if you want. Butt after a restart you have to do this again. Is not the correct way but at last you can use the joypad in those problematic games.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        It is a nice controller. I have one and its ergonomics are really nice. In Linux the only problem are some games that only accept joypads in a white-list, even if their drivers are ok. This is happening in the Unity Engine based games, and is pretty annoying. Almost all the other games work fine with the Xbox One Controller.

There is a workaround that you can do. Open Steam in the Big Picture mode and plug-in the controller. Now the input for the games are handled by Steam and the game theoretically will accept any controller recognized by the Big Picture mode. You can go out to your desktop after that if you want. Butt after a restart you have to do this again. Is not the correct way but at last you can use the joypad in those problematic games.
        The problem is that some games like Hotline Miami 2 (I tried HM1 with a 360 controller so I don't know about the first) and Transistor wouldn't recognize the Xbox One controller since they may have been setup for 360. I've noticed a lot of games that work on the 360 controller but not Xbox One. Of course on Windows 10, it works fine.

Comment

Sadly my Xbox One controller died* last week. I probably only used it for ~100 hours over the past two years or so.

*Joystick drifts. Attempted cleaning it, but it appears to be a bad module. Don't currently have access to a soldering station to replace.
          Appears this is a very common issue; hopefully newer controllers have better build quality.

Comment

Funny I was working on this myself. Didn't know Valve was doing it. Does it list the security packets that the xbox one console it self generates, or at least the packet to request the security handshake?

Comment

Working...
            X