Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU Frequency Handling Within The Intel DRM Driver

Phoronix: GPU Frequency Handling Within The Intel DRM Driver

Intel Open-Source Technology Center developer Ben Widawsky has written a blog post about frequency handling within the i915 DRM driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Those blog posts don't look recent at all.

This weekend he also wrote post four of his PPGTT series.
    It's dated July 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      Those blog posts don't look recent at all.

It's dated July 2014.
      Hmmm, I wonder if something is going on with his blog or FreeDesktop.org Planet. On the planet they are listed as 24 January and this morning was the first time I seen any of these posts.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I am interested in dropping blobs, period.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

He did say that he had the power management in draft for for 7 months before he decided to publish it, right? Maybe that's why the date discrepancy is there.

Nice short read for someone who just got a new has well quad for his work laptop and is interested in battery life optimizations.

Comment

I've never actually been able to get intel-gpu-frequency to detect my GPU, even when glxinfo reports everything normally.

Comment

I'm not very convinced. For one, I don't get why frequency is still a thing. Shouldn't it just be a binary on/sleep thing? I suppose for turbo boost the "on" state gets a higher frequency, and someone can wish to underclock, but that's about it. Setting it to not max is pretty silly unless you do want to underclock, and you only want to underclock when you have poor airflow (in which case it's your own fault).

Also, the article really doesn't help to make the case for firmware blobs. Heck yeah, we have a piece of firmware that we don't know what it does, and not only that, when told to do something, it fails to do such without warning! That's just great...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                I'm not very convinced. For one, I don't get why frequency is still a thing. Shouldn't it just be a binary on/sleep thing? I suppose for turbo boost the "on" state gets a higher frequency, and someone can wish to underclock, but that's about it. Setting it to not max is pretty silly unless you do want to underclock, and you only want to underclock when you have poor airflow (in which case it's your own fault).
                Running flat out is not always what you want. If you want to play a game or watch a video at a fixed frame rate for example, you only need to adjust the clocks high enough to maintain that rate.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  Running flat out is not always what you want. If you want to play a game or watch a video at a fixed frame rate for example, you only need to adjust the clocks high enough to maintain that rate.
                  But why? Why can't it just render the frame as fast as possible, then sleep the rest of the time until the next frame is requested?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post

But why? Why can't it just render the frame as fast as possible, then sleep the rest of the time until the next frame is requested?
                    Too much wasted energy, besides all or nothing isn't a smart solution

Comment

Working...
                    X