Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes Start Heading Into AMDGPU For LLVM 3.9

Phoronix: Changes Start Heading Into AMDGPU For LLVM 3.9

A number of AMDGPU LLVM back-end changes have been hitting the mainline LLVM SVN/Git code-base in recent days...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was relying on LLVM APT to have bleeding edge LLVM, but since the 11th of January the site appears to be offline (I mean the Jenkins instance)
    Any news on this? Is this a temporary problem?

BTW I'd like to build LLVM on my own (as Mesa and others graphical stuff) any tips for building a Debian package I can install/remove with aptitude?

Comment

Originally posted by lorenzoz View Post
      I was relying on LLVM APT to have bleeding edge LLVM, but since the 11th of January the site appears to be offline (I mean the Jenkins instance)
      Any news on this? Is this a temporary problem?

BTW I'd like to build LLVM on my own (as Mesa and others graphical stuff) any tips for building a Debian package I can install/remove with aptitude?
      The LLVM APT issue is temporary, I had already contacted the maintainer as I rely upon the repo for my LLVM/Clang daily benchmarking. He had a build server problem and will fix it by next week.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

The LLVM APT issue is temporary, I had already contacted the maintainer as I rely upon the repo for my LLVM/Clang daily benchmarking. He had a build server problem and will fix it by next week.
        Thank you Michael for your response.
        BTW if someone has any tips, I'll be pleased to learn something new.

Comment

You can get an even better changelog for AMDGPU LLVM here: https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/.../Target/AMDGPU

Comment

They are dropping support for the Mesa 11.0 series?

Comment

Originally posted by thelongdivider View Post
              They are dropping support for the Mesa 11.0 series?
              They are dropping compat with 11.1. You'll need to use git (11.2) in order to work with LLVM 3.9. With 11.1 you'll stick with 3.8 (which still hasn't been released, by the way)

Comment

FWIW: Matt Arsenault has been working on the R600/AMDGPU LLVM backend for quite a while now. For quite a while, it seemed to be mostly him and Tom Stellard working on it in the public repo (as far as AMD employees), although that's expanded to others.

Comment

IIRC Matt wrote the original code (LLVM IR to AMDIL) that Tom used as a starting point for the r600/radeonsi shader compiler (LLVM IR to ISA) work.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    They are dropping compat with 11.1. You'll need to use git (11.2) in order to work with LLVM 3.9. With 11.1 you'll stick with 3.8 (which still hasn't been released, by the way)
                    Which means you won't even use Mesa 11.1 with LLVM 3.8. Old Mesa with new LLVM has never been supported (fails to even build often), nothing new here. Mesa is backwards compatible with older versions of LLVM.

Comment

Working...
                    X