Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Launches GPUOpen Today

Phoronix: AMD Launches GPUOpen Today

Today's the day that AMD opens up GPUOpen...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very good for the community but I doubt if that's profitable.

Comment

I love you AMD, Thanks for innovating

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
        As the underdog, AMD benefits from opening up as much tech as possible to try and undermine NVidia's entrenched advantage. NVidia has a huge advantage in complex DX11 driver quality? Make a thinner driver layer that moves responsibility to the apps undermining nvidias lead. Nvidia has GSync? Release freesync. Nvidia has gameworks? Release GPUOpen. Good enough and open usually beats great and closed.

Comment

Might not be profitable but sure it improves AMD mindshare amongst developers

Comment

It might not be directly profitable however if third party developers start to contribute enhancements back into GPUOpen it will speed development and reduce development costs. Sounds like a win for both AMD and the developers using these libraries.

Comment

There is a market for open-source, it's just not "traditional". having to open source this gain a lot of consumer trust and it gets developed/supported longer which adds to the trust, closed source only is a short-term gain. If you have a big company then you are in it for the long run, not the short term.. unless you just try to cripple the competition and get away with it.. then of course it's on a different field of exercises.

Comment

LiquidVR released too

Easy, affordable options for you to obtain the domain you want. Safe and secure shopping.

Solely windows by the looks of it

Comment

Originally posted by BEZZiiE View Post
                  I love you AMD, Thanks for innovating
                  Be nice if they had any Vulkan info up, It's all dx12/windows from what I can see.

Comment

We are also in the process of pushing the first Boltzmann developer preview out - kernel, thunk, runtime, HIP and HCC, with Fiji support.

Probably a couple of hours before all those repos are active.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X