Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Croteam Will Be Supporting Vulkan For Serious Sam 4 & Others

Phoronix: Croteam Will Be Supporting Vulkan For Serious Sam 4 & Others

Adding to the list of game studios with plans to support Vulkan is Croteam with a few of their modern games going to receive the Vulkan treatment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not really surprised, I think Croteam was always OpenGL friendly, so the move to Vulkan is only logical. But glad to have confirmation anyway.

Comment

You can't be serious.

Comment

So confirmed Vulkan games so far we have...
        Dota2
        Talos Principle
        Ashes of the Singularity
        Serious Sam 4
        Star Citizen (not 100% confirmed but they say they are watching closely because they are unhappy with their openGL results on cryengine)

The last 3 are obviously going to take time.
        Whereas the first two (Dota2 and Talos Principle) looks like they are ready but not allowed to release until khronos gives the green light.

Comment

It's interesting that a dev who is not part of the Khronos group was able to gain adequate access to the spec, drivers, tools etc to get their game working on it before the NDA is lifted. Valve did because they are part of Khronos but these guys being given access is a nice surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
            Dota2
            Talos Principle
            Ashes of the Singularity
            Serious Sam 4
            Star Citizen (not 100% confirmed but they say they are watching closely because they are unhappy with their openGL results on cryengine)

Whereas the first two (Dota2 and Talos Principle) looks like they are ready but not allowed to release until khronos gives the green light.
            Well probably couple of games on this list:
            After over a year in maintenance mode, the official Unreal Engine Wiki is now permanently offline. These resources now live on a new community-run Unreal Engine Community Wiki — https://unrealcommunity.wiki/! You will be able to find content from the official Unreal Engine Wiki at ue4community.wiki/legacy, where we’re working closely with the curators to ensure a complete mirror of the legacy knowledge base remains. If you’d like to join hundreds of community members and contribute to the new ...

I would imagine at least Unreal Tournament will get the vulkan.

Comment

I have waited for Vulkan long enough already. To me, it looks like it will just never ever release.
              Compared to DirectX 12, it is a year late. There is no indication it will get supported current generation of consoles either as they either have their own API (PS4) or they use DirectX 12.

It's OpenGL 3 all over again, it will be too little too late.

Comment

Originally posted by sdeschenes View Post
                I have waited for Vulkan long enough already. To me, it looks like it will just never ever release.
                Compared to DirectX 12, it is a year late. There is no indication it will get supported current generation of consoles either as they either have their own API (PS4) or they use DirectX 12.

I don't understand this mentality. If this is the case, then where are all the DX12 games?

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                  Dota2
                  Talos Principle
                  Ashes of the Singularity
                  Serious Sam 4

Stardock Entertainment has also talked about looking into Linux ports of their games (specifically Galactic Civilzations 3) once Vulkan is released, so maybe we can add those to the list

Comment

Originally posted by sdeschenes View Post

Q: How do you define when an API has no relevance in the market?
                    A: By the competition/demand.
                    Q: Why is Vulkan API even a standard?
                    A: Because the demand/companies is/are funding it
                    Q: Is competition good?
                    Stupid question with an obvious answer: YES!

Comment

Working...
                    X