Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Test Release For Android-x86 6.0

Phoronix: A New Test Release For Android-x86 6.0

A new test release of Android-x86 6.0-Marshmallow is now available for those wanting to deploy the latest version of Android on their Intel/AMD hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

nice. android x86, remix os and phoenix os. Android on PC is an intriguing idea. Most laptops have touchscreens and the average user might be comfortable using the same easy peasy OS both on phones and such devices.

Also looking forward to Ubuntu 16.04 and Mir's debut. and convergence. Tried out unity 7 and really liked its finish and completeness. Unity even though it had its "undeserved share of bashing" is a very very nice desktop, its snappy at the same time being full of animations and pleasantries.
    Last edited by sarfarazahmad; 28 January 2016, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
      nice. android x86, remix os and phoenix os. Android on PC is an intriguing idea. Most laptops have touchscreens and the average user might be comfortable using the same easy peasy OS both on phones and such devices.

Also looking forward to Ubuntu 16.04 and Mir's debut. and convergence. Tried out unity 7 and really liked its finish and completeness. Unity even though it had its "undeserved share of bashing" is a very very nice desktop, its snappy at the same time being full of animations and pleasantries.
      Had to look up phoenix os, 'cause I haven't heard about it before today. Turns out to be suffering the same problem as remix -- closed source. The only good part about it (phoenix, that is...) is the comments section in the article I found about it. Specifically "I will try this in 2019, when the download is complete. Seriously China, don't use a potato as a server." Good little chuckle at that one.

These are chinese hack projects, closed source as all heck. The odd thing is, if you look at it closely enough, they are very obviously trying to COPY mswindows. I mean just look at the "my computer" button. http://liliputing.com/2016/01/phoeni...a-desktop.html

These closed source chinese projects may get a little bit of following out of the gate, but won't ever amount to anything. At least not outside of China. This is a good thing, because we really shouldn't be depending on anything chinese and closed source.

Next up is, of course, Android N. I'm not going to look up the references, but the pixel devs have mentioned that N will be including split screen and multi window UI modes. While they didn't elaborate on this, the way it was worded introduced a distinction between them. That split screen was something *different* than multi-window. My assumption at this point, is that split screen literally divides the screen into fixed segments, possibly two or three applications with a tiled layout. This layout would save screen space by eliminating a lot of the window decorations required by traditional multi-window layouts, and probably be appropriate for medium sized tablets (like Nexus 9). My second assumption is that what they refer to as multi-window would correspond to multiple-floating-windows with headers for control and manipulation.

If this turns out, it will immediately render these chinese desktop android projects obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post

Had to look up phoenix os, 'cause I haven't heard about it before today. Turns out to be suffering the same problem as remix -- closed source. The only good part about it (phoenix, that is...) is the comments section in the article I found about it. Specifically "I will try this in 2019, when the download is complete. Seriously China, don't use a potato as a server." Good little chuckle at that one.

These are chinese hack projects, closed source as all heck. The odd thing is, if you look at it closely enough, they are very obviously trying to COPY mswindows. I mean just look at the "my computer" button. http://liliputing.com/2016/01/phoeni...a-desktop.html

These closed source chinese projects may get a little bit of following out of the gate, but won't ever amount to anything. At least not outside of China. This is a good thing, because we really shouldn't be depending on anything chinese and closed source.

Next up is, of course, Android N. I'm not going to look up the references, but the pixel devs have mentioned that N will be including split screen and multi window UI modes. While they didn't elaborate on this, the way it was worded introduced a distinction between them. That split screen was something *different* than multi-window. My assumption at this point, is that split screen literally divides the screen into fixed segments, possibly two or three applications with a tiled layout. This layout would save screen space by eliminating a lot of the window decorations required by traditional multi-window layouts, and probably be appropriate for medium sized tablets (like Nexus 9). My second assumption is that what they refer to as multi-window would correspond to multiple-floating-windows with headers for control and manipulation.

If this turns out, it will immediately render these chinese desktop android projects obsolete.
        yep closed source is a risky affair. and you might be right abt them becoming obsolete sometime soon. We have quite a few windows 10 laptop/tablet hybrids in the market already.waiting on such android devices with like you said proper multi window desktop UI focus along with mobile mode. The market that I am talking about is India cost is the determining factor here

Comment

Working...
        X