Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source Engine Powered Black Mesa Is Being Ported To Linux

Phoronix: Source Engine Powered Black Mesa Is Being Ported To Linux

The Black Mesa third-party remake of Half-Life is confirmed for being ported to Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Colour me surprised though not that it's getting ported, more that it's getting ported while still in early access. These guys always had the view that porting was something they'd like to do but wanted to get the full game (minus Xen) out first. Good on them though, I was recently playing through HL1 and it's still a decent game even if the graphics and certain gameplay elements haven't aged well

Comment

Cave Johnson: Black Mesa can eat my bankrupt...
      Caroline: Sir, the testing?
      Cave Johnson: Right.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm willing to see what Black Mesa is like when it's done. The graphics back during the 90s were actually pretty good for me.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
        Colour me surprised though not that it's getting ported, more that it's getting ported while still in early access. These guys always had the view that porting was something they'd like to do but wanted to get the full game (minus Xen) out first. Good on them though, I was recently playing through HL1 and it's still a decent game even if the graphics and certain gameplay elements haven't aged well
        Yea, and they also promised not to sell this, but they do now and its still incomplete.

Comment

Did they say something new?

05 May, 2015 Mac & Linux Support
          Both are currently in the works but no timeline for either yet.

Who are we? We are Crowbar Collective, an international group of artists, programmers and designers recreating and reimagining the experience of Half-Life on the Source Engine. What's New in the Steam Release of Black Mesa? The steam release of Black Mesa include various fixes, upgrades, and new features since Black Mesa’s mod release.

..still only worlds without any visible work.

Comment

Doesn't Black Mesa Dev word & result usually differ?

I would be happy when it comes, but I recall a history of sketchyness, hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Now that sounds intriguing. A DRM free version would be prefered, but a remake is a near must buy for me. The old HL was a very beautiful game. I especially like the somewhat surreal touch to it. But Valve didn't seem to have much interest in it, for whatever reason. Also the main story author left them recently. Good to see somebody else picking up.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I bought a copy of Black Mesa a couple of months back to support the team and hopefully see them finish the project before I die. This was without a guarantee of a Linux version. I'm glad to hear they're going to do a Linux version, but they really need to focus on completing the game. They can't remain in early access for years.

Comment

Working...
                X