No announcement yet.

It Can Be Worthwhile Upgrading Your Open-Source Radeon Driver On Ubuntu 15.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Can Be Worthwhile Upgrading Your Open-Source Radeon Driver On Ubuntu 15.10

Phoronix: It Can Be Worthwhile Upgrading Your Open-Source Radeon Driver On Ubuntu 15.10

Whew, tons of Linux graphics benchmarks this weekend, in large part for getting more eyes looking at the new OpenBenchmarking.org web interface that's now in beta so feedback can be received and get it all tuned up for the official release in February. The latest of these benchmarks this weekend is comparing the out-of-the-box Ubuntu 15.10 performance against the speed when upgrading the Linux kernel and Mesa for the AMD R600g and RadeonSI Gallium3D drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh my that is quite the improvement.

Comment

Here's an easy way to upgrade to the newest AMD drivers:

Step 1) Nuke your current Linux install.
      Step 2) Install Arch or rolling-release distro of choice.
      Step 3) Update.

Comment

I don't see how arch would improve my life as user here. Adding a ppa and doing a dist-upgrade is a breeze and takes just some seconds when you know the mechanisms.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerroast View Post
          Here's an easy way to upgrade to the newest AMD drivers:

Step 1) Nuke your current Linux install.
          Step 2) Install Arch or rolling-release distro of choice.
          Step 3) Update.
          I don't have anything against Arch, but this is not a fast at all...

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post

As long as you have a separate home partition it will be very easy and quick.

Once switched you don't have to worry about Ubuntus outdated and buggy software packages.
            You will have a lot less software related issues since switching away from the bugfest that is Ubuntu, and you will always be at the latest stable release.

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post

I said Arch "or rolling-release distro of choice." Is installing Arch a long task for those not comfortable with configuring their OS from the bottom-up? Sure.

But installing Netrunner Rolling, KaOS, Manjaro, and enabling Unstable in Debian are all pretty fast tasks. The bottleneck's your

Comment

Working...
              X