Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VLC 3.0 Remains Under Development While VLC 4.0 Will Have Better Wayland Support & A New UI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLC 3.0 Remains Under Development While VLC 4.0 Will Have Better Wayland Support & A New UI

Phoronix: VLC 3.0 Remains Under Development While VLC 4.0 Will Have Better Wayland Support & A New UI

For more than a year we've been looking forward to VLC 3.0, but it's not quite baked yet. Once VLC 3.0 does finally ship, there are already early plans for VLC 4.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I still prefer MPV simply because of the quality and ease of configuration, but there's always been a spot in my heart for VLC. I think it'd be interesting if the two teams worked together. Maybe a libmpv-based VLC release?

Comment

For playing single files there's none better than VLC. However, I've always thought the lack of library view has really hurt it. Although there looks to be one in the PDFs, so either I've missed something, or it's in the upcoming release.

Opening files though File > Open or the file browser is really a pita.

Comment

VLC have redefined doing one thing (well a few things) and doing it well!!! I just hope that they don't get bit by the "modern bug" and screw up the user interface! Keep it like it is!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          For playing single files there's none better than VLC. However, I've always thought the lack of library view has really hurt it. Although there looks to be one in the PDFs, so either I've missed something, or it's in the upcoming release.

Opening files though File > Open or the file browser is really a pita.
          Well I just use drag and drop to playlist. Although Kaffeine's playlist is far superior with its library views etc. Best video player would be kaffeine like player with vlc in the backend.

Comment

wayland development is the right evolution.

Comment

I almost never use vlc anymore on linux i rather use mplayer/smplayer or xine (i like how xine handles subtitles it does a better job then the rest).

Comment

If You are still using VLC instead of mpv with a proper configuration, You can't even start to imagine what You are missing out on!
                Just to name a few:

- high quality up- and downscaling
                - deband shader
                - video-sync=display-resample in order not to drop a single frame with 23.976 fps film content
                - and probably most important: INTERPOLATION (buttery-smooth output of film material on 60Hz+ displays without 3:2 pulldown stutter)

Seriously, read up on mpv - You can't go back to any other player once You've experienced the benefits it brings!

PS: mpv is also jokingly called 'the chosen video player'...

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                  If You are still using VLC instead of mpv with a proper configuration, You can't even start to imagine what You are missing out on!
                  I also like the playback quality of mpv. But I couldn't find a way to make DVD-playback just as easy as with vlc. At least the last time I tried mpv didn't have a working dvd-menu implementation. I had to "guess" (read: try hard) which item I have to play. Even worse some DVDs I own start the main film via dvdnav://. vlc just works in any case.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                    Just to name a few:

- high quality up- and downscaling
                    - deband shader
                    - video-sync=display-resample in order not to drop a single frame with 23.976 fps film content
                    - and probably most important: INTERPOLATION (buttery-smooth output of film material on 60Hz+ displays without 3:2 pulldown stutter)

Seriously, read up on mpv - You can't go back to any other player once You've experienced the benefits it brings!

PS: mpv is also jokingly called 'the chosen video player'...

mpv is a an overrated but okay media player, but its no match for mplayer, VLC or even xine. mpv sucks on optical media its DVD support is lame, its 2016! and mpv cannot even play a dvd with menus. And forget about blu ray. Its not as fast as mplayer or XIne. mpv is nothing but hype.

Comment

Working...
                    X