LLVM Continues To Dominate Across Many Operating Systems, Software Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM Continues To Dominate Across Many Operating Systems, Software Projects

Phoronix: LLVM Continues To Dominate Across Many Operating Systems, Software Projects

In case you haven't realized it yet, LLVM is relied upon by quite the number of software projects both open and closed. LLVM continues making new leaps and bounds not just as a traditional C/C++ compiler but in other innovative areas as well...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Companies from Microsoft to NVIDIA and Google rely upon LLVM and contribute upstream while Apple has been traditionally the one most well known for backing the project. AMD, Sony, Intel, Linaro, and IBM are among the many others. "
    Well well, reading Phoronix I was under the impression that BSD-like licences were bad because evil companies never contributed back, whereas GPL was the only way to offer freedom (by limiting the rights). Guess I was wrong.

Comment

It's really simple: BSD covers corporate use cases that GPL frankly doesn't give a damn about. From a corporate perspective, GPL is too restrictive, so it's avoided whenever possible. The only use I've ever seen of using GPL derived software in the corporate world is using GCC derived compilers to compile for non-Windows targets. And even then, MSVC is used for development due to ease of use. In that respect, it's no surprise LLVM has been so successful, since it's a reasonable alternative to the expensive Visual Studio suite that isn't restricted by being licensed as GPL.

Comment

Working...
      X