Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Releases Two New Kaveri APUs & An Excavator-Based CPU

Phoronix: AMD Releases Two New Kaveri APUs & An Excavator-Based CPU

AMD this morning updated its Kaveri APU line-up and also released a new Athlon X4 processor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Strange that they only released the Athlon as excavator. The A10 and A6 are what really needed it.

But yes, seeing benchmarks of that would definitely be interesting. Benchmarking excavator laptops isn't as interesting due to thermal and power regulation, but a desktop part is a much better control.

Comment

I wonder if this new Athlon is faster than 860K.

Comment

Benchmarks of the new Athlon X4 compared to Kavari/Godvari would be very interesting indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Strange that they only released the Athlon as excavator. The A10 and A6 are what really needed it.
          The main Excavator-based desktop parts are later this year -- Bristol Ridge, AM4 socket and DDR4.

This seems like another option for the FM2+ socket and DDR3.
          Last edited by bridgman; 02 February 2016, 02:03 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

The main Excavator-based desktop parts are later this year -- Bristol Ridge, AM4 socket and DDR4.

This seems like another option for the FM2+ socket and DDR3.
            That's what I thought, but this Athlon chip is a desktop part, which is why I find this confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
              I wonder if this new Athlon is faster than 860K.
              Unverified information: Excavator has 4-15% higher IPC than Kaveri.

Athlon X4 845 is 3.5-3.8 GHz. 860K is 3.7-4.0 GHz.

1.04*3.5 = 3.64
              1.04*3.8 = 3.952
              1.15*3.5 = 4.025
              1.15*3.8 = 4.37

Comment

It would be very interesting to see a bulldozer -> excavator comparison - although I don't know if its possible to find chips with the same clock speeds to make it more level.

Comment

Interesting. I was kicking around picking up one of the 65 watt A10 or A8 chips for a MythTV box.

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
                    It would be very interesting to see a bulldozer -> excavator comparison - although I don't know if its possible to find chips with the same clock speeds to make it more level.
                    you could underclock them to the same frequency to make a fairer comparison.

Comment

Working...
                    X