Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Highly-Anticipated XCOM 2 Game For Linux Will Be NVIDIA-Only

Phoronix: The Highly-Anticipated XCOM 2 Game For Linux Will Be NVIDIA-Only

XCOM 2, the turn-based tactical video game developed by Fireaxis Games off Unreal Engine 3, is set to be released this Friday! However, come 5 February, hopefully you are a NVIDIA Linux gamer using the proprietary drivers otherwise you may have a hard time running the game...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did anyone expect any differently. Game devs have been having problems with Catalyst for ages and Mesa isn't at OGL4.3/4.4 yet.

Comment

Feral didn't support mesa drivers officially but they do make tests and make corrections internally. I got a response from a Feral guy in GOL, about a problem in the split-screen multiplayer mode and he said is a driver missing feature according to their tests. And lets not forget they bought a bunch of AMD hardware months ago for the purpose of better testing on that hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
        Did anyone expect any differently. Game devs have been having problems with Catalyst for ages and Mesa isn't at OGL4.3/4.4 yet.

Mac drivers are stuck on 4.1 openGL like Mesa

Comment

Just heard from Feral that there's no benchmarking support in any of their versions. So I guess I'll just do some quick "does it start / render?" tests on the different GPUs/drivers.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I find it weird that they support AMD on OSX and Win but not on Linux. The differences from osx should be really marginal.

Comment

Welp I'm off to cancel my pre-order, kind of bummed to because I got the digital deluxe for $56 on GMG but I cannot support this type of behavior.

Comment

It's a bit of a click bait. It's not that it won't work on AMD GPUs, it's just that it's not supported.

I have a few games that aren't officially supported for AMG GPUs, but I can run them without any problem with my open source AMD drivers (r600). And, on Steam, if you launch the game and see that it doesn't work, you can get your money back.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
                  It's a bit of a click bait. It's not that it won't work on AMD GPUs, it's just that it's not supported.

I have a few games that aren't officially supported for AMG GPUs, but I can run them without any problem with my open source AMD drivers (r600). And, on Steam, if you launch the game and see that it doesn't work, you can get your money back.
                  Nope bought it third party at GMG once I get my keys that's final.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post

Yes the same they say about Borderlands 2 for Linux, but it played fine on my Radeons.

Comment

Working...
                    X