Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batman: Arkham Knight Gets Canceled For Linux

Phoronix: Batman: Arkham Knight Gets Canceled For Linux

While many Phoronix readers were looking forward to playing Batman: Arkham Knight natively on Linux, the port has been canned...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Warner Bros has now decided to cancel this Batman game for Windows and Linux. If you bought it for Windows or Linux, the Warner Bros developer recommends applying for a refund via Steam.
    ?? wait they cancled the Windows version but a still aiming to release it for mac?

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
      ?? wait they cancled the Windows version but a still aiming to release it for mac?
      Errr no, just silly typo when multitasking too much :P
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It doesn't surprise me considering that they had such a hard time porting it over to Windows...

Comment

Well sh*t... Sure taught me not to buy games before they actually launch and specially not trough key-reseller sites where you don't even get refunds...

Seriously, first they botched the Windows version, then delayed the Linux and Mac versions and now finally they're cancelling them. I was genuinely looking forward to playing this game on my Linux box without having to do it trough Wine or by (*gasp*) installing Windows, but looks like that's not going to happen. I'm starting to get worried about the promised Linux port for Project CARS and I can now lay to bed the hope of the up-in-the-air port of Mad Max.

Also, kind of telling how the Steam community thread where they announced has been locked.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
            Well sh*t... Sure taught me not to buy games before they actually launch and specially not trough key-reseller sites where you don't even get refunds...

Seriously, first they botched the Windows version, then delayed the Linux and Mac versions and now finally they're cancelling them. I was genuinely looking forward to playing this game on my Linux box without having to do it trough Wine or by (*gasp*) installing Windows, but looks like that's not going to happen. I'm starting to get worried about the promised Linux port for Project CARS and I can now lay to bed the hope of the up-in-the-air port of Mad Max.

Also, kind of telling how the Steam community thread where they announced has been locked.
            Considering how bad the Windows version was, it sounds like they did you a favor.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              Considering how bad the Windows version was, it sounds like they did you a favor.
              Seeing how I've already paid for it and can't get a refund because I bought it trough a third party key seller I wouldn't agree. That's basically 30-something euros down the drain unless they get it working under Wine/CrossOver or I install Windows at some point.

Comment

Seeing how I've already paid for it and can't get a refund because I bought it trough a third party key seller I wouldn't agree. That's basically 30-something euros down the drain unless they get it working under Wine/CrossOver or I install Windows at some point.
                Let me get this straight: you looked at the state on the Windows version, factored in how Linux ports never work as good as they do on Windows, and thought "what the hell"?
                You, sir, got exactly what you deserved.

Comment

Sorry, but you "deserve" it, because:

NEVER, EVER BUY GAMES BEFORE THEY HAVE RELEASE THE OFFICIAL LINUX VERSION!!

You are giving the money just to the windows side and the porter company gets none... if they don't get money, they will not port other games in the future. Also shops without official linux support will report all sales as being windows, so again, no money for porters nor they are counted as linux... accounting will then tell that the linux releases don't sell and no future ports are made! Even if you later play in linux, it may be too late, no money will be delivered to the porter company and most of the time publisher don't really care about play statistics after the game release, so they will never see your sale as linux and assume the windows as default.

Steam, GOG and Humble Bundle do count linux sales, most of the other sites don't. If you really want to save money, wait a little for sales, most linux games get on sale on release or on the next steam sale campaign.

Even for games you already had, if you liked then and they are ported to linux, you should buy another copy and gift it to some other linux user, Windows market is huge, until linux gaming gets bigger, we need to make sure that every linux gamer is counted.

So yes, buying before release is a big mistake and it might affect every other linux users.

Comment

... I am looking forward to playing Metro 2033 Redux again after 2-3 years from today. The 2018-2019 hardware, and most importantly the Linux drivers, will be better suited for playing the game.

Comment

Working...
                    X