Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There Is One Week To Go Until LibreOffice 5.1

Phoronix: There Is One Week To Go Until LibreOffice 5.1

LibreOffice 5.1 is scheduled to be released next week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

...One Week To Go...
    Then why, in whomever's name, are you posting an article about it now?! This means you are going to write an article with the exact same info again next week...

Comment

I hope they'll also fix some bugs. I wrote my PhD in LibreOffice and well, I did encounter a good bunch of bugs. Some might show up only with certain HW/SW setups but still...
      Format compaibility is a long term thing, and yes, it looks like a copy/paste changelog from early OOo but then hardly documented formats (MSO97) or misdocumented formats (MS OOXML) are just a pain.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        I hope they'll also fix some bugs. I wrote my PhD in LibreOffice and well, I did encounter a good bunch of bugs. Some might show up only with certain HW/SW setups but still...
        Format compaibility is a long term thing, and yes, it looks like a copy/paste changelog from early OOo but then hardly documented formats (MSO97) or misdocumented formats (MS OOXML) are just a pain.
        [humorous rant]PhD thesis in LibreOffice?! Such sacriledge! LaTeX is the only proper choice![/rant]

I did my Master's thesis in LibreOffice and also think that there were some really annoying bugs in it. Particularly when it comes to formatting and handling of text types. Sometimes I just wish you could use something as consistent as LaTeX, combined with WYSIWYG, without having to actually use WYSIWYG LaTeX-editors... I think the XHTML-way of thinking: separate content from layout and design, is completely perfect. Never mess with my layout, without me actually changing my template(s). But at the same time, there are lots of in-between issues, like formatting tables, moving images around, and other things I can't think of now.

I do understand that making a word editor must be a huge PITA. It also makes me sad that they seem to focus so much on edge-case functionality (in my POV) instead of fixing bugs in the functionality that 95% of all users use. But we humans have a tendency to think that our use-case is always the "normal" one.

Comment

I really like LibreOffice's workflow for contributing code. The community is also really friendly..

Oh, and they've made the build process sooo much better than the old OpenOffice one so it's easier to build too

Comment

Here's hoping for a fix to the GTK3 regression in v5.0.2.4>

Azpegath has a really good point as well, horizontal line is still bugged to hell and back and has been for as long as I can remember...

Comment

I am very happy with LibreOffice, especially since version 4.4. One annoying thing is the poor performance when you have a lot of data in Calc and move the selected cell really quickly with the arrow keys. Otherwise LibreOffice is great. At work I have Win7 with M$ Office 2016 but I also have LibreOffice alongside it. Libre is better than M$ in some aspects.

Comment

improved Microsoft Office file format support
                Easily worth it. The better MS support, the better LO will be in the long run. At least with businesses. I do believe ODF is the future internationally though.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
                  I did my Master's thesis in LibreOffice and also think that there were some really annoying bugs in it. Particularly when it comes to formatting and handling of text types.
                  I imagine that the LO developers really like bug reports with documents that reproduce the problem. If it's ok to provide them with all or part of your thesis (or an equivalent document where you ran into the issues) I'm sure they'll accept it.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post

I imagine that the LO developers really like bug reports with documents that reproduce the problem. If it's ok to provide them with all or part of your thesis (or an equivalent document where you ran into the issues) I'm sure they'll accept it.
                    Yes, you are correct, I wrote a bug once and the first response I got was of course "we need a document that reproduces the problem" which is perfectly understandable. This was almost 10 years ago (maaaaaan!) so it was an old version of OpenOffice at that time.

Comment

Working...
                    X