Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endless Is The Latest Company To Join GNOME's Advisory Board

Phoronix: Endless Is The Latest Company To Join GNOME's Advisory Board

Endless Computer, the company designing Linux-powered computers -- and using a modified GNOME desktop -- for emerging markets, has joined the GNOME Advisory Board...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Endless OS seems interesting. Even though it's heavily restrictive since it does not use apt, rpm, pacman, or any kind of package manager, I might want to try it out sometime in the future. Simplicity and elegance is king here.

Oh! Forgot to add a link: https://endlessm.com/developer/

Comment

Cool idea, I wonder if they include compilers and ebooks for children so that they can learn how to code.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
        Endless OS seems interesting. Even though it's heavily restrictive since it does not use apt, rpm, pacman, or any kind of package manager, I might want to try it out sometime in the future. Simplicity and elegance is king here.

Oh! Forgot to add a link: https://endlessm.com/developer/
        Dev here. Endless is moving to a common application packaging (xdg-app https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/SandboxedApps) collaboratively with other upstream groups so we're trying to fix that but can't provide you with a timeline. The only reason why we rolled our own is that nobody else had something we could use but times are changing quickly and interestingly enough there's a ton of competing formats now. As for base OS handling, we use OSTree mainly because it's easier to use that for updates and branching vs some apt hacks but we are a Debian-packaging based system on the build side. PS: Turning an OSTree system back to an apt-based one is not impossible for a skilled individual is all that I will say here

Originally posted by boffo View Post
        Cool idea, I wonder if they include compilers and ebooks for children so that they can learn how to code.
        No compilers/ebooks at this time afaik outside of interpreters already on the machine (Python 2/3, GJS, and Node.js too I think). There is a "learn programming" app that was built in-house that's pretty neat for JS learning and has levels/achievements type and I think we have a few others but don't quote me on that latter part.

Edit: Oops on double-posting - forum kept saying there was some kind of error
        Last edited by sgnn7; 05 February 2016, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Ah, I remember this project. I remember many people complaining initially about how the Mini costs too much for what it wants to accomplish (small, low-cost PC for lower-income regions). An insignificant complaint, seeing as the RPi2+case+power supply (I found a Samsung smartphone charger to work well at a lesser cost than the official Pi plug)+composite cables barely cost less less than the Mini, but shipping on all of those makes it about as expensive.

Also, the paranoia about a small possibility of Endless not including composite video from the less informed was pretty entertaining.

Comment

Working...
          X