Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here Is What Happens When Trying To Use Non-NVIDIA Drivers To Play XCOM 2 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here Is What Happens When Trying To Use Non-NVIDIA Drivers To Play XCOM 2 On Linux

Phoronix: Here Is What Happens When Trying To Use Non-NVIDIA Drivers To Play XCOM 2 On Linux

For those eager to play the XCOM 2 strategy game on Linux but curious about using non-NVIDIA graphics, here is the rundown! I just finished some very cursory XCOM 2 Linux tests with different graphics drivers and hardware. Do the Mesa / Gallium3D drivers yet handle XCOM 2?

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like this game should be something for the Intel & AMD drivers to target for testing & feature completeness then.

Comment

I'm guessing it would work with the AMD proprietary drivers. Alien Isolation does, even though it's officially unsupported.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
        I'm guessing it would work with the AMD proprietary drivers. Alien Isolation does, even though it's officially unsupported.
        Will check soon, I hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
          On my TODO list, juggling a bunch of stuff at moment.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Crash too with the proprietary NVIDIA v361 980 :'-(

Code:
            [0204/200309:ERROR:gl_context_glx.cc(107)] Couldn't make context current with X drawable.
            [0204/200309:ERROR:gles2_cmd_decoder.cc(3200)]   GLES2DecoderImpl: Context lost during MakeCurrent.
            [0204/200309:ERROR:gl_bindings_autogen_gl.cc(6831)] Trying to call glGetGraphicsResetStatusARB() without current GL context
            [0204/200309:ERROR:gl_bindings_autogen_gl.cc(6831)] Trying to call glGetGraphicsResetStatusARB() without current GL context
            [0204/200309:WARNING:x11_util.cc(1490)] X error received: serial 838, error_code 171 (GLXBadDrawable), request_code 154, minor_code 26 (X_GLXMakeContextCurrent)
            [0204/200309:ERROR:gl_context_glx.cc(107)] Couldn't make context current with X drawable.
            [0204/200309:ERROR:gles2_cmd_decoder.cc(3200)]   GLES2DecoderImpl: Context lost during MakeCurrent.
            [0204/200309:WARNING:x11_util.cc(1490)] X error received: serial 868, error_code 8 (BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)), request_code 154, minor_code 26 (X_GLXMakeContextCurrent)
            [0204/200309:ERROR:gl_bindings_autogen_gl.cc(6522)] Trying to call glDeleteVertexArraysOES() without current GL context
            [0204/200309:ERROR:gl_bindings_autogen_gl.cc(6512)] Trying to call glDeleteTextures() without current GL context

Comment

This is a documented issue with Nvidia 361 and Aspyr ports: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...inux-version-/

Right now it literally only works on Nvidia 355 and 358 (and maybe Catalyst, poorly). Honestly a miracle that we're getting a Linux port on launch day given that it's only supported on such a tiny range of hardware configurations...
              Last edited by axfelix; 04 February 2016, 04:04 PM.

Comment

I think it's wrong to blame the driver i think it's rather the port that's bad.
                Mesa drivers ain't in such a bad shape as many wants to imply.
                Last edited by Nille_kungen; 04 February 2016, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Michael,

Sometimes these games crash or otherwise not work properly because the developers (in their infinite wisdom) decided to ship an internal version of glibc. Did you check whether this is the case here?

Comment

What is the required OpenGL version? 4.3?

Comment

Working...
                    X