Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 11.2 Is Set For Branching In Just Two Weeks, Release In Just Over One Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 11.2 Is Set For Branching In Just Two Weeks, Release In Just Over One Month

Phoronix: Mesa 11.2 Is Set For Branching In Just Two Weeks, Release In Just Over One Month

The race is on to see if any of the Mesa/Gallium3D hardware drivers (or core Mesa itself) will reach any new version levels for Mesa 11.2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

many 4.2 and 4.3 extensions will be done soon for radeonsi. let's see whether "soon" is less than two weeks

Comment

intel is failing, i can't undertand why they don't finish opengl 4.2 at once, for ppl with intel iris gpu opencl 3.3 is a limitation

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
        intel is failing, i can't undertand why they don't finish opengl 4.2 at once, for ppl with intel iris gpu opencl 3.3 is a limitation
        because you didnt write 64bit emulation

Comment

Well you can always hop in and help yourself, of course you need to be social and let people to analyze your code, but that's the easiest part.

Comment

Does anyone know if Ubuntu has plans to track the 11.2 RCs so it can make it into 16.04? They recently landed 11.1.1.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Right now though core Mesa is held up on OpenGL 4.3 by ARB_robust_buffer_access_behavior and only partial support for ARB_internalformat_query2
              If ARB_robust_buffer_access_behavior was the only missing thing to GL 4.3 level, would it make sense to just claim 4.3 compat anyway and hope not too many programs rely on the robustness of the implementation?

Wrt. "partial support for ARB_internalformat_query2": It's under review on the mailing list, so what is missing to be regarded as "fully" supported?

Comment

i can't undertand why they don't finish opengl 4.2 at once
                From comments in this forum and elsewhere it seems that OpenGL support is not as high a prioritiy to the people paying Intel development as e.g. GLES, which is aimed at "lower" powered chips.

That said: As was pointed out in another discussion thread in this forum, there is work going on to add the missing 4.0 GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64. The development process can be followed here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=92760

I lack knowledge to judge the state of the missing 4.1 features GL_ARB_shader_precision and GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_64bit.

Comment

FWIW, here's the list of remaining work to get full GL 4.5 support, as far as i can tell:

all drivers
                  4.3 robust_buffer_access_behavior (not started)
                  4.4 enhanced_layouts (in progress - patches are out, seems very close?)
                  4.5 ES3_1_compatibility (in progress - basically done?)
                  4.5 cull_distance (not started)

intel
                  4.0 fp64 (in progress)
                  4.4 texture_stencil8
                  4.4 query_buffer_object

gallium (nvc0 and radeon)
                  4.2 shader_image_load_store and shader_image_size (in progress)
                  4.3 compute (in progress)
                  4.3 fbo no attachments (in progress, very close)
                  4.3 array of arrays (in progress, very close)
                  4.3 internalformat_query2 (mostly done)

radeon
                  4.2 atomic counters
                  4.3 shader_storage_buffer_object
                  4.4 clear_texture
                  4.4 query_buffer_object

It's a shockingly small list. I wouldn't expect any new GL versions to be hit for the next release unless nouveau finishes off image support. Some of the "very close" extensions should be finished off, though. It's looking like the following release in 3 months could be a giant one.

The robustness stuff honestly doesn't look like it would be that bad to finish off. It looks like it only takes affect if you create a robust context, so you don't necessarily have to worry much about the performance side of things if you're looking to get a quick and dirty implementation of it out. It's also likely not used by anything but browsers, since apps have to request it.
                  Last edited by smitty3268; 06 February 2016, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by W.Irrkopf View Post

From comments in this forum and elsewhere it seems that OpenGL support is not as high a prioritiy to the people paying Intel development as e.g. GLES, which is aimed at "lower" powered chips.

That said: As was pointed out in another discussion thread in this forum, there is work going on to add the missing 4.0 GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64. The development process can be followed here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=92760

I lack knowledge to judge the state of the missing 4.1 features GL_ARB_shader_precision and GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_64bit.
                    GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_64bit requires GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64, so cannot be done until the other one will be finished.

Comment

Working...
                    X