Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLC Now Has Zero-Copy Support For GStreamer Video Decoding

Phoronix: VLC Now Has Zero-Copy Support For GStreamer Video Decoding

It was just last week we got to write about VLC 3.0 features and early planning for VLC 4.0 while this weekend in Git there is another feature to add to the list...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wait, what? Hasn't VLC always been it's own self contained thing? Why would it connect to GST? (I mean, I love GST and think more things should use it on Linux, but it seems odd for VLC)

Comment

I have no idea what that story means.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        I have no idea what that story means.
        It means VLC will use less CPU (and power) to decode video when it's being displayed locally.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

It means VLC will use less CPU (and power) to decode video when it's being displayed locally.
          Yes, but VLC has never used GStreamer in the past, rather they make direct calls to libraries such as ffmpeg, libmepg2, and a bunch of others. So if they are now zero copy, that cool, but when did they start using GStreamer?

Comment

Working...
          X