MaruOS Gives You An Independent Debian Desktop From Your Smartphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MaruOS Gives You An Independent Debian Desktop From Your Smartphone

Phoronix: MaruOS Gives You An Independent Debian Desktop From Your Smartphone

For those that haven't heard yet, MaruOS is a new open-source project that seeks to provide users with a Debian-based desktop environment when connecting your Android smart-phone to an external display...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe things like this will become increasingly more interesting with new, modern, high-end smartphones.
    64-bit 8 core CPU, 4 GB LPDDR4, 128 GB storage.

Comment

I've been running a desktop on my andriod for a while, but it's basically a terminal server I connect to from a PC. And with spice I even get half decent framerates over wifi.

Comment

I actually have gentoo in a chroot on SD card in my LG volt... RAM is tight with only 1GB but I was able to make it self-rebuild all the base gentoo software plus install lxde and firefox.

Because for certain sites, I'd rather die than use the mobile website, and running desktop firefox in a weird X server on android is slightly better than dying.

But it is cool having access to all the little linux utilities for that one weird time you need it, and it's probably just an emerge command and a few minutes away if it's not installed.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Maybe things like this will become increasingly more interesting with new, modern, high-end smartphones.

...when we get those Aluminum-ion batteries, along with quantum-space technology to dissipate all that heat from one's pocket without having Antarctica's breath handy, then we can talk.

Comment

what about gpu acceleration and 3d graphics? i already know but it's nice to dream

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              The specs you describe are insane. Think what people ran back in the early 2000's. You only need a few hundred MHz single core processor to run a proper Linux desktop, anything more should enhance your experience but are not requirements by any means.

Comment

GPU acceleration might get a nice boost once Vulkans out, which is meant to work on mobile phones. Could see 8core mobiles becoming a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post

The specs you describe are insane. Think what people ran back in the early 2000's. You only need a few hundred MHz single core processor to run a proper Linux desktop, anything more should enhance your experience but are not requirements by any means.
                  The specs are what to be expected in a modern smartphone shipping 2016.
                  Note however that few applications utilize so many cores, and that mobile ARM is vastly slower than desktop x86. Also note that MHz isn't everything.
                  Also note that Linux is different today from 2000. Modern desktops like GNOME 3.18, KDE 5, Unity probably needs more hardware then back in 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerroast View Post

...when we get those Aluminum-ion batteries, along with quantum-space technology to dissipate all that heat from one's pocket without having Antarctica's breath handy, then we can talk.
                    No, smartphones with those specifications are shipping this year. It is not fantasy, it is reality.

Comment

Working...
                    X