Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khronos Is Hosting A Vulkan "Special Webinar" Later This Month

Phoronix: Khronos Is Hosting A Vulkan "Special Webinar" Later This Month

In just less than two weeks The Khronos Group will be hosting a "special webinar" about Vulkan...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Definitely going to watch it while eating some dampfnudeln
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Why do they keep hosting educational materials about vulkan that are of no use so frequently before vulkan's release? All talk, no release.

It is useless to try to understand a programming language or API at a moment where it is impossible for you to play with it and try what you are learning to experience it firsthand.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
        Why do they keep hosting educational materials about vulkan that are of no use so frequently before vulkan's release? All talk, no release.

It is useless to try to understand a programming language or API at a moment where it is impossible for you to play with it and try what you are learning to experience it firsthand.

hype!!

Comment

After doing it for this long, it stops bringing hype. It was hype prior to december, now it's just... meh. There's probably a reason why major companies aren't showing off announced products for months on end after it's announcement (especially applies to games). And that is because the less you know, the more hyped you can be.

This kind of stuff would be (mildly) useful if Vulkan was already released though, but if they really want to bring up hype, they'd just be throwing benchmarks at us left and right. Honestly I think that would be preferable, I mean vulkan has been ready for a long time. Show us benchmarks, give us a tour of the developed tools (and I mean the short version, because a tutorial is useless until the software is released; just show us some screenshot and brag about their greatest features!)

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
            After doing it for this long, it stops bringing hype. It was hype prior to december, now it's just... meh. There's probably a reason why major companies aren't showing off announced products for months on end after it's announcement (especially applies to games). And that is because the less you know, the more hyped you can be.

This kind of stuff would be (mildly) useful if Vulkan was already released though, but if they really want to bring up hype, they'd just be throwing benchmarks at us left and right. Honestly I think that would be preferable, I mean vulkan has been ready for a long time. Show us benchmarks, give us a tour of the developed tools (and I mean the short version, because a tutorial is useless until the software is released; just show us some screenshot and brag about their greatest features!)
            Vulkan will be released real soon.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

As far as I am aware, we are all excited for Vulkan. It's just that people cannot stand the wait (and also because it's late than originally stated). I also suspect that the "release" of Vulkan is going to happen this summer (as the latest). But since it's going to get released in proprietary drivers, it's going to take a while before it's going to hit the sweet-spot with performance on new applications.

But what I want to say is, eff the hype and let's just go business as usual until it releases for the public (open source).. then we can celebrate and see how the general people/community can improve the Vulkan API.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Vulkan will be released real soon.

I'm going to beleive it when I see it.

Here are the release date that slipped until now :
                - Before the end of the year
                - Very early next year (which everyone understood as January)

So, very soon to me is somewhere between today and 2099.

2099 is probably the best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by sdeschenes View Post

I'm going to beleive it when I see it.

Here are the release date that slipped until now :
                  - Before the end of the year
                  - Very early next year (which everyone understood as January)

So, very soon to me is somewhere between today and 2099.

2099 is probably the best bet.
                  Keep in mind at the end of the year when everyone was saying 'very early next year', I was the one that reported that it wouldn't be 'very early next year' and made that quite clear based upon my info.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

I hear Half-Life 3 will have Vulkan support on release...

Comment

Working...
                    X