Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Details On HP's "The Machine" Finally Emerge

Phoronix: More Details On HP's "The Machine" Finally Emerge

It has been a while since hearing much anything about HP's "The Machine" computing architecture and its associated Linux++ project, but that changed this past week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In fact, it was sadly just one of a few sessions from this year's LCA2016 that I found really interesting.
    Yeah it was hosted in the City I live in this year, I've always wanted to go but never been .... sadly I was also unimpressed by the line-up there was maybe 1 or 2 things I recall being interested in so didn't bother. Hopefully next year will be better.

Comment

Guys over at nextplatform.com have a series of articles on themachine, among other fascinating enterprise stuf.

Comment

Wasn't the machine project pretty much cancelled?

Comment

No, just delayed. First hardware iteration will be done with ordinary dram, for example, since memristors are not ready yet.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
            No, just delayed. First hardware iteration will be done with ordinary dram, for example, since memristors are not ready yet.
            Those who have worked for HP for enough years, come to realize that "delayed" and "canceled" are synonyms. "Delayed" means it was moved to the back burner to make way for more pressing (i.e. greater short-term profitability) activities. The vast majority of the time, this status change is a permanent one.

HP "innovates" through mergers and acquisitions. They don't really do in-house engineering any more - they're more of a sales & marketing company these days.
            Last edited by torsionbar28; 09 February 2016, 02:53 PM.

Comment

torsionbar28 :

Yup, my HP Pre3 smartphone can only agree with your analysis of HP...
              incredible OS and interface, completely killed and sold of by HP.

(Speaking of smartphones, that's also the reason why I'm happy that Jolla managed to survive up until now. Sailfish is finally a mobile OS that I like AND that didn't get killed yet).

Comment

Working...
              X