Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Network Transparency Patches Published

Phoronix: Wayland Network Transparency Patches Published

For the longest time, when bringing up Wayland a recurring question was "what about network transparency?!" Well, Samsung's Derek Foreman has today published the set of Wayland patches for providing Wayland network traparency by pushing the Wayland protocol over TCP/IP...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"damage tracking and not yet implementing any compression when sending data over the wire"
    I fear Microsoft holds some patents about these topics for their RDP since Windows 7.

Comment

Sweet, this opens the door for Wayland over network but also via an SSH tunnel. That means remoting back like with X/XMing and others will be possible.

Comment

RDP after windows 7 added RemoteFX which is more for accelerated graphics not damage.

Wayland should be able to take advantage of any damage algorithms that NX was already using... also NX is slowly getting merged into mainline X so its getting better code wise.

Comment

What would be really innovative is if we could get hardware encode / decode support for wayland streams using, say, vp8/9. That is how Miracast / Android screencasting is implemented and we really should be able to do better in free software by making a common protocol for it at the protocol level.

Comment

SPICE anyone?

Comment

Awesome! I was hoping this would come together soon.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                What would be really innovative is if we could get hardware encode / decode support for wayland streams using, say, vp8/9
                hardware vendors have to implement vpx encoders first

Comment

that's great! give me this plus primary selection and I can throw X out of the window right now (no pun intendend)

Comment

Four scenarios I'm sure they'll consider:

- Powerful GPU client (sorry, I get messed by X naming things backwards): You connect to the server and want to do the rendering in your machine, because your GPU is powerful enough or quite powerful.
                    - Weak GPU client (thin client): You have a big machine with a powerful GPU or a N number of high-end GPUs, you want to make the 3D rendering on the server and then translate the results to the client.
                    *Useful for:
                    ** Graphics demanding apps: Games, CAD/CAM, 3D modelling, etc.
                    - Mixed approach: You want to get the best of both GPUs but without making performance worse, considering stuff like latency and bandwidth of the network.
                    - Virtual Machines (QEMU/KVM, Xen...): Is it possible to integrate SPICE or provide an equivalent technology?

This can be a lot more useful than some people may think. It can be used in companies, gaming competitions and even public terminals at places like universities or libraries.

Of course, using latest technologies and GPU features to make it smoother and efficient would be a big plus.
                    Last edited by timofonic; 09 February 2016, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X