Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Android Vendors Said To Be Eyeing Ubuntu Phones This Year

Phoronix: More Android Vendors Said To Be Eyeing Ubuntu Phones This Year

A greater number of Android smartphone/tablet vendors are said to be eyeing Ubuntu Phone for new devices later this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Eyeing them and then scoffing at them

Comment

China Mobile is most likely one of them, Chinese market is huge and they are the largest telecom in the world I believe, they might give it a try with Ubuntu phones, and they have the muscle to bring applications to the OS as you cant ignore a market that big. Having more vendors is good, but it would be great if one of the big names in the industry took the risk and released an Ubuntu phone, even if in limited quantities at first, it would have a big marketing effect and help bring popular applications to Ubuntu phones. Canonical is demonstrating community ports of Ubuntu Touch to Fairphone, OnePlus and Sony phones on MWC, supposedly those OEMs are aware of the ports and support them to a degree though it is not said in what way do they support them. I hope that is a hint of something deeper. Cant wait to see who are those new vendors.

Comment

Ubuntu had a good idea with convergence, but they executed it so poorly Microsoft beat them to the market. That was their killer feature.
        Still, Ubuntu remains a Linux-based phone OS that's more open than Android, but most users don't care about that.

Comment

So nothing new. They have been saying the exact same thing since at least 2013.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/11/h...-phone-tablets
          Household Brands Interested In Ubuntu for Phones and Tablets, Says Shuttleworth

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/03/b...-ubuntu-phones
          Big Smartphone Brands ‘Looking Seriously’ at Ubuntu, Says Shuttleworth

Comment

I'm reading this article on my Ubuntu touch device and the experience overall is great but still needs a little polish. Having more partners and cash flow would help.

They just need to add proper caldav/carddav support and I would very happy. Adding it via the terminal is a pain
            -_-

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              Ubuntu had a good idea with convergence, but they executed it so poorly Microsoft beat them to the market. That was their killer feature.
              Still, Ubuntu remains a Linux-based phone OS that's more open than Android, but most users don't care about that.
              Continuum does not give you full Windows experience, Ubuntu convergence gives you full desktop experience, they are different. When it comes to giving full desktop experience via a mobile device Microsoft didnt beat Ubuntu, it is the other way around, Continuum might or might not get that in the future, but currently it does not have it.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                So nothing new. They have been saying the exact same thing since at least 2013.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/11/h...-phone-tablets
                Household Brands Interested In Ubuntu for Phones and Tablets, Says Shuttleworth

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/03/b...-ubuntu-phones
                Big Smartphone Brands ‘Looking Seriously’ at Ubuntu, Says Shuttleworth

That proves exactly nothing as Ubuntu Touch wasnt ready for mass market in 2013 and 2014, even if those supposed brands wanted to they couldnt really sell devices with Ubuntu because it was not ready, not by a long shot, now in 2016 it is getting close to being ready for mass market. Major vendors would never sell a device with an unfinished OS. So they may or may not have been interested in Ubuntu as far as back then, but if they are interested nothing could happen anyway in 2013 and 2014 as the OS was not ready then. Being interested does not mean "we will sell devices with Ubuntu in three months", being interested in industry means many things including "interesting OS you have there, let us know when it is done".

Comment

I saw that article, and it means absolutely nothing at all. *NONE* of the big phone OEMs are going to mess with it. You're going to see a few "unknown" vendors (like this "BQ"), and probably a few CHINESE vendors (they mentioned a "Meizu").

The reason, is *licensing*. Android worked because the hardware vendors have this idiotic impression that the changes they make to an OS have some value besides making their customers HATE them, so they want to keep those changes private, which they can do with the Apache License. Canonical is going to be under a heap of more restrictive licenses, like GPL. The Chinese vendors don't care, since they always just ignore the license. But of course, the Chinese vendors half-ass everything and generate the world's worst user experience.

The really hilarious part is where the article starts to speculate about samsuck being a good target, since they flirted with their own OS as an alternative to Android. The reality is that samsuck is the LEAST likely to try out ubuntu, because they are the MOST secretive with the wanton destruction that they like to add in.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    I saw that article, and it means absolutely nothing at all. *NONE* of the big phone OEMs are going to mess with it. You're going to see a few "unknown" vendors (like this "BQ"), and probably a few CHINESE vendors (they mentioned a "Meizu").

The reason, is *licensing*. Android worked because the hardware vendors have this idiotic impression that the changes they make to an OS have some value besides making their customers HATE them, so they want to keep those changes private, which they can do with the Apache License. Canonical is going to be under a heap of more restrictive licenses, like GPL. The Chinese vendors don't care, since they always just ignore the license. But of course, the Chinese vendors half-ass everything and generate the world's worst user experience.

The really hilarious part is where the article starts to speculate about samsuck being a good target, since they flirted with their own OS as an alternative to Android. The reality is that samsuck is the LEAST likely to try out ubuntu, because they are the MOST secretive with the wanton destruction that they like to add in.
                    The most probable major brand that would try Ubuntu would be Sony in my opinion. By the way I like it how people are 100% sure that something wont happen, like you said that none of the big OEMs will mess with it, not meant as an insult just wondering how people can give such definite statements while they really only speculate. If you read my posts you will see I never say any of the major OEMs will definitely support Ubuntu, I only say I hope they will. But being so confident in your prediction is your right of course. But what if a major brand ends up releasing an Ubuntu phone?

Comment

Working...
                    X