Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opera Browser Receives Buy Out Offer For $1.2 Billion USD

Phoronix: Opera Browser Receives Buy Out Offer For $1.2 Billion USD

For those that haven't heard yet, Opera Software ASA has received a buy out offer led by a Chinese tech group for buying the browser maker for $1.2 billion USD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That is a lot of money for a small company.

Comment

Is someone using Opera on linux?
      Changing the old rendering engine was a mistake, Opera was always one of the top performing browser. Now its just a different looking chrome.

Comment

I will build a WebKit browser and put it on sale for $900.000. How's that Chinese tech group?

Comment

They should sell for both the money and their product's sake. The western markets are saturated. But, if you have local connections, the Asian markets are still growing and competitive.
          This is a very good thing for Opera.

Comment

it sounds pretty much unanimous. opera should go with the deal

Comment

SELL cash out for everything they done.

Comment

I only know Opera in its modern incarnation, and it is actually pretty good. They seem to have moved it along quite a bit in the last releases. I generally use it as my browser of choice on Linux. On Android the Max and Mini versions are both very interesting for quite different reasons.
                Last edited by brownsr; 10 February 2016, 01:54 PM.

Comment

$1.2 billion USD for all the tech required to conveniently monitor a lot of smart TV users all over the world (Opera TV so a lot of LG, Sony TV sets). Sounds like a deal for the Chinese to me.
                  Last edited by reavertm; 10 February 2016, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
                    I'd take the money and run. Fuck those commies. Opera is dead anyway. Take the money and run.
                    I wouldn't put it like that... but I overall agree with the gist of what you said.

Personally, I haven't used Opera in years. It used to be my favorite browser and while Presto was still in development it was really well-made. But I lost interest ever since they dropped that.

Comment

Working...
                    X