Show Appreciation For Linux Benchmarking & Hardware Testing This Weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show Appreciation For Linux Benchmarking & Hardware Testing This Weekend

Phoronix: Show Appreciation For Linux Benchmarking & Hardware Testing This Weekend

With Valentine's Day this weekend, it's a great time to consider showing your support of Phoronix with all of the work invested daily for our timely open-source news, Linux hardware reviews, open-source benchmarking, and much more. As my appreciation for the community, I'm running a Valentine's Day special as well as working on some special content for the days ahead...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now again? ... Christmas, January, you might as well make this a regular weekend offer. It's not that people don't appreciate Phoronix (after all I visit almost daily) but this sounds like you are getting a bit desperate and conflicts with the 'success' of the Christmas sale/offer/whatever... I think those offers come in a bit too often to be taken seriously as an "wow! gotta use this opportunity". Why should we? a new opportunity comes along in a month or two anyway!

Edit:
    You have earlier written that you feel burnt out. Since you are basically the only one running this site (to my knowledge) that makes me concerned. If I pay for premium - how sure can I be that Phoronix will be up in a few months time?! Is it worth the risk? etc...
    Last edited by waxhead; 13 February 2016, 06:53 AM.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

I have a Premium subscription.
      However, I don't know how to view the multi-page articles on a single page.

I don't see any "sign in" button in the main website.
      Do I have to sign in through the forum?

I usually land on articles through the RSS feed, so going through the forum login is a hassle, you see?

I clean cookies regularly, so I prefer a quick login, with the ability to save passwords in the browser.

Thank you Michael.

Comment

Haha, I got the same. Search my bud off for the sign on button on the main website, since I want to support Phoronix (even though I disagree with the electrical bills for the automatic testing). I really enjoy this site a lot, mainly because of all the Linux news. Michael how can I sign in at the main page?

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
          Now again? ... Christmas, January, you might as well make this a regular weekend offer. It's not that people don't appreciate Phoronix (after all I visit almost daily) but this sounds like you are getting a bit desperate and conflicts with the 'success' of the Christmas sale/offer/whatever... I think those offers come in a bit too often to be taken seriously as an "wow! gotta use this opportunity". Why should we? a new opportunity comes along in a month or two anyway!

Edit:
          You have earlier written that you feel burnt out. Since you are basically the only one running this site (to my knowledge) that makes me concerned. If I pay for premium - how sure can I be that Phoronix will be up in a few months time?! Is it worth the risk? etc...
          There are no plans to run a sale again until the Phoronix birthday in June.

If anything were to happen to the site due to being burnt out, I'd still likely continue but make it premium-only or the like. I've thought about it many times to focus on PTS/OB but as long as still able to keep getting by with ads, all is well, and no plans for anything to happen as long as there are premium subscribers.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ArthurBorsboom View Post
            Haha, I got the same. Search my bud off for the sign on button on the main website, since I want to support Phoronix (even though I disagree with the electrical bills for the automatic testing). I really enjoy this site a lot, mainly because of all the Linux news. Michael how can I sign in at the main page?
            There isn't a sign in at the home page since the forums and main site are powered by two entirely different systems. If you log in at the forums though and aren't flushing your cookies or changing IP addresses, it should let you be logged in for days at a time.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Show Appreciation For Linux Benchmarking & Hardware Testing This Weekend

With Valentine's Day this weekend, it's a great time to consider showing your support of Phoronix with all of the work invested daily for our timely open-source news, Linux hardware reviews, open-source benchmarking, and much more. As my appreciation for the community, I'm running a Valentine's Day special as well as working on some special content for the days ahead...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...e-2016-Request
              Originally posted by waxhead View Post

Edit:
              Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              (in another forum thread)
              Price discounts on Christmas, Valentine's Day, Black Friday, etc, have been - historically - a successful marketing strategy.

Phoronix is more explicit about describing these discounts with words than others. For example, Steam just lowers the prices at the day(s) when the discount applies and it isn't describing the discounts further.

Just like any other economic entity, Phoronix needs to be combining multiple strategies that will lead to success in the market and that will lead to revenue.

A strategy for Phoronix to increase revenue could be for hardware manufacturers to send their new hardware to Phoronix for review. However, specifically in GPU hardware the problem is that the GPU release date does not coincide with support for the GPU in Linux drivers. A strategy for the GPU manufacturer might be to send the GPU to Phoronix not on the hardware release date but on the date of support in Linux drivers. This assumes that driver updates for the new GPU are committed to the driver's open-source repository within a few months of the hardware release date.

In the CPU space, the strategy for coping with the problem of the CPU release date not coinciding with software updates has been 100% backward compatibility. The ISA of a previous generation CPU is nearly always a subset of the ISA of the next generation CPU.

(Just some thoughts. I am not saying it needs to make sense in all cases.)

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post
                A strategy for Phoronix to increase revenue could be for hardware manufacturers to send their new hardware to Phoronix for review. However, specifically in GPU hardware the problem is that the GPU release date does not coincide with support for the GPU in Linux drivers. A strategy for the GPU manufacturer might be to send the GPU to Phoronix not on the hardware release date but on the date of support in Linux drivers. This assumes that driver updates for the new GPU are committed to the driver's open-source repository within a few months of the hardware release date.
                NVIDIA does basically send every GPU they release to Phoronix on or before launch day.... That's why there are big NVIDIA Linux comparisons on Phoronix but only smaller AMD ones. But that doesn't do anything to increase revenue as there's still many other expenses to cover. (It's on the AMD side where AMD hasn't sent any GPUs since the HD 6000 days for Linux testing....)
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

Is there any amd card you like to test who is the money worth ?

I do not think so you already have every amd card worth to test.

I think you only need 2 more testing systems in the near future a AMD-ZEN cpu and a HBM2-AMD-Polaris GPU card with 1000gb/s ram bandwidth.
                  When spending more than $1000 USD on AMD GPUs ever ~2 years due to the cost of Fury / R9 290 / other high-end cards when new.... Some have requested I test with a 380X as newer GCN 1.2 GPU.... I also only have the R9 Fury and not the X or Nano model for those interested.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

I'll find out who is responsible for sending cards to media and see if we can get Phoronix added to the list.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X