Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making More Storage For The Benchmarking Room & More

Phoronix: Making More Storage For The Benchmarking Room & More

As a lot of people have been interested in the routine, casual weekend updates to the evolution of the turning a basement into a Linux benchmarking server room, here's the latest...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I recently got a quick look inside the data centre next door to us here at work (Perth, Western Australia). They had just finished a trial of implementing some hot aisle/cold aisle goodness.
    All they used for the trial was some heavy plastic sheets.
    It was very successful and they have since ordered a bunch of proper hardware to implement it properly - the DC guy said they had got down to 1.4 EPU (not sure if I got that acronym right - basically it is the amount of facility energy used in computing compared to other facilities including cooling/switching/lighting etc) from somewhere in the region of 1.8 EPU

If you are able to rearrange the server racks in your basement to be in a row and use some cheap plastic sheeting, it could shave a decent amount off your power bill for very little cash outlay and a small amount of time.

It won't look all that pretty, but hey - it's a trial and if it works I am sure you can handyman up something that looks better!

Comment

I'm jealous of the amount of basement/cellar space you have. Here in the north of england, it seems you only get a cellar if you live down town among the shops. Last few houses I've lived in we've use the garage as the storage area Come to think of it, I dont know anyone that lives around here that uses their garage to park their car! When I've walked past and they've had the garage door open it's just full of boxes.

Comment

Working...
      X