No announcement yet.

VIA OpenChrome X.Org Driver Getting Ready For First Release In Over Two Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA OpenChrome X.Org Driver Getting Ready For First Release In Over Two Years

Phoronix: VIA OpenChrome X.Org Driver Getting Ready For First Release In Over Two Years

With a new developer stepping up to the plate, it's looking like the OpenChrome DDX driver will see its first release in more than two and a half years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks Michael!

It's nice you added an humor section to the site

Comment

"For those still relying upon the OpenChrome X.Org driver for VIA x86 graphics hardware support," Priceless

... said the guy who wasted a big chunk of his life on unichrome, and who still owns 40some devices today... *sigh*

Comment

At least they should fix the bugs

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
          At least they should fix the bugs
          It's easier to kill it!

Comment

Come on, it's not the few people's fault that development there is rather slow. Most devs left and documentation for the chips was never really complete. I'm happy for any love even old HW sees.
            However, I got very careful with the choices I do when it comes to new HW. Even if something is dirt cheap on a popular auction platform, I think twice if I want to mess my day with HW that is not really supported.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Adarion: unichrome is where modesetting was born, and because the people who later formed openchrome did not agree that modesetting was more important than MPEG2 acceleration, they forked away from me. I vetoed the reintroduction of VBE support, claiming that the only way forward was a single path for display engine configuration, one that did not involve the bios and would logically break down the different display blocks and provide clarity (what is today known as modesetting, a word that did not exist before August 2004 but which now has its own wikipedia page). Openchrome today has 3 paths for modesetting, if one does not work, the other is chosen, until one works. No bugs ever get fixed, i think they even have a table now which says "for this board, pick this path"... It's rather ridiculous.

Read http://unichrome.sourceforge.net/ under "Driver philosophy". I wrote that shortly after the fork in Q2 2005. 11 years ago. I could not have been _more_ right. So i am not one bit sorry that i am not cheering now.

Comment

Working...
              X