Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Developers Already Got 3D Games Running On Maxwell GPUs

Phoronix: Nouveau Developers Already Get 3D Games Running On Maxwell GPUs

Less than 24 hours after NVIDIA finally posted the signed firmware images for the GTX 900 "Maxwell" GPUs, Nouveau developers have succeeded in already getting 3D games running on their open-source driver stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would be really bad if mesa 11.2 would be branched before it works. The nouveau patches could be sent to stable branch easyly.

Comment

Really bad, why? People buying high-end gaming cards for gaming won't use Nouveau. Casual users won't cry if it comes a few months later.

Comment

"Less than 24h"? Lazy bastards, what took you so long? </mandatory_rant>

Comment

I'm guessing they've been working on this for a while, but there was no point up streaming until the firmware images were availalble

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
            Really bad, why? People buying high-end gaming cards for gaming won't use Nouveau. Casual users won't cry if it comes a few months later.
            I'm a person with a GTX 970 that would love to use Nouveau...

Comment

Nouveau is really interesting for Nvidia, they even used it as base (kernel module) for the Google Pixel C - now you can use it with latest desktop cards too. Branching without that support is not good, because many ppl would like to try it - and that would be only possible with git snapshots. Git snapshots are usually only available for Ubuntu - or you have to package em manually for Debian. The packaging is different so you can not mix it. If you need to disable it you can always use nomodeset option, but i want it enabled and working by default. The last step where Nvidia could help is of course proper powermanagement with full reclocking. I hope that will happen next.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Git snapshots are usually only available for Ubuntu
                It is open source, git snapshots are available to everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by l_bratch View Post

I'm a person with a GTX 970 that would love to use Nouveau...
                  Why? There's no proper reclocking in Nouveau.

Comment

Sure, but you need to package em manually if they are not provided by somebody else.

Comment

Working...
                    X