Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReactOS 0.4.0 Released For Open-Source Windows Experience

Phoronix: ReactOS 0.4.0 Released For Open-Source Windows Experience

ReactOS 0.4 was up to a release candidate in December and now the official v0.4.0 release media is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The official downloads page is updated as well https://reactos.org/download

Comment

ReactOS was a very interesting and promising project... about 10 years ago.

​SATA support as a new feature in 2016 is beyond pathetic. Seriously, *all* our company computers are running on M.2/NVMe. Same goes for my home PC. By 2020 they *might* get full XP win32 compatibility, but don't hold your breath lol.
      Last edited by anarki2; 16 February 2016, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

​SATA support as a new feature in 2016 is beyond pathetic. Seriously, *all* our company computers are running on M.2/NVMe. Same goes for my home PC. By 2020 they *might* get full XP win32 compatibility, but don't hold your breath lol.
        That would be great actually, since Windows XP will probably still be used by then.

Comment

Wow, angry-person post of the day award does to you. They've built (and rebuilt) their own OS from scratch, and are have done so in support of the same movement that drives GNU, linux, BSD et al. This thing HAS actually worked in varying degrees for years (so long as you didn't need 'fancy' hardware like USB) and is finally seeing progress as a beta and adding more hardware support. Its relevance is increasing as Windows becomes less useful and desirable.

I'm sure the people doing this have learned a great deal.

When's the last time you built an OS?
          Hi

Comment

Dude do you even know how big of a project an operating system is? Can you even imagine how hard it is to reverse engineer such a big project? That is what ReactOS is doing, that is hard. That is why they are the only ones trying. Wine is just a compatibility layer between Windows and Linux, ReactOS is trying to be binary compatible with Windows (down to the very drivers) can you imagine how tough that must be to do?

​But then again I do agree they're taking a bit too long.

Comment

Not necessarily. I've recently seen a linux box using WINE to run an XP era property program that W7 failed to run. As Microsoft closes off the PC, and W7 EOL (2020) draws near, there might be some interest in maintaining ReactOS by some parties. Especially if they can get an ARM port going where Microsoft failed to do so.

Comment

Wait until 2022. That's when they'll have full HDMI support.

Comment

Installed ROS, window titles flickering just like in SVN, installed some software, then it froze, rebooted to debug, froze in a gray screen, rebooted normally, recurring BSOD.

Now I'm sad.

Comment

Originally posted by zxtlpn View Post
                    Installed ROS, window titles flickering just like in SVN, installed some software, then it froze, rebooted to debug, froze in a gray screen, rebooted normally, recurring BSOD.

Now I'm sad.
                    Sounds like an astonishingly authentic Windowstm eXPeriencetm to me! Had you just installed a set of Via drivers you'd spent the previous three days running the gauntlet of every malware site known to man to find? Or plugged in a webcam?..

Last edited by Dick Palmer; 16 February 2016, 11:09 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                    X