Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical's ZFS Plans Are Lining Up For Ubuntu 16.04

Phoronix: Canonical's ZFS Plans Are Lining Up For Ubuntu 16.04

Ubuntu developers have been working on ZFS support for Ubuntu 16.04 and all of that file-system support is getting squared away...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will ZFS on root be supported?

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
      Will ZFS on root be supported?
      Not from the installer for 16.04 I'm afraid. One can manually install it root using the following instructions: https://github.com/zfsonlinux/pkg-zf...oot-Filesystem

Comment

Originally posted by ColinIanKing View Post

Not from the installer for 16.04 I'm afraid. One can manually install it root using the following instructions: https://github.com/zfsonlinux/pkg-zf...oot-Filesystem
        ​Thanks, Colin!

Comment

Makes me wonder how that's supposed to work out with encryption? Not really professional to carry a laptop without encryption around.

Comment

Originally posted by yacc143 View Post
            Makes me wonder how that's supposed to work out with encryption? Not really professional to carry a laptop without encryption around.

People generally use ecryptfs or LUKS. ecryptfs has the advantage that it reduces the amount that needs to be encrypted, especially when dealing with redundancy across multiple disks. LUKS has the advantage of a header wipe (or misdirected write to the header) destroying everything inside of it, although that is probably only an advantage for certain people.

Comment

Weren't there licensing problems which made ZFS incompatible with the Linux kernel?

Comment

Yes, that's why you cannot install it as root fs.
                What are containers?
                Thanks

Comment

Why not just use Btrfs? What advantage does zfs have?

Comment

Originally posted by dajomu View Post
                    Why not just use Btrfs? What advantage does zfs have?
                    My guess would be, that btrfs is still immature compared to ZFS and btrfs STILL does have some major problems, that could probably drive away customers as well as give a hard headache to Canonical. I guess they're playing safe. This, plus the fact that I don't know of any other company supporting ZFS in their paid Linux service.
                    But prove me wrong! All I do is guess.

Comment

Working...
                    X