Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BitTorrent's Sync Now Offers Official Linux Packages

Phoronix: BitTorrent's Sync Now Offers Official Linux Packages

BitTorrent Sync, the P2P file synchronization tool for many different platforms, finally has official Linux packages...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For everybody looking for an open source variant: Check syncthing

Comment

syncthing is getting better and better. And it is already packaged by some distributions. E.g. it recently hit official Gentoo portage tree.

Comment

Originally posted by OlafLostViking View Post
        rsync ftw

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post
          syncthing is getting better and better. And it is already packaged by some distributions. E.g. it recently hit official Gentoo portage tree.
          And Android.

Comment

Originally posted by OlafLostViking View Post
            Agreed!

I've set up syncthing on a linode machine I use for a server (20$/month but I do use it for other stuff too) and used it to give my parents peace of mind on their important documents and stuff (no big movies etc.).

I'm still on dropbox myself simply because I have so much old clutter in it, but I'm gonna def. move off.

Using p2p is nice, but I don't like the closed-sourcedness. It's basically trusting your critical data to the authors.

Comment

I would be a lot more excited about this.. If I hadn't already moved off to an Owncloud instance. I still use BTSync for a few people, but they're all on Windows anyway; so, it doesn't really matter
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I use Syncthing also, you can install it on android from F-Droid, or goggle play store and can get the apk from Fossdroid. They have Debian/Ubuntu packages on their website ready to go. I thought is was easier than BitTorrent to set up, but both are easy to set up just a bit different.

Comment

I thank Bittorrent Sync for helping me make a decision of avoiding proprietary software like plague. Now they have imposed limits (10 folders I think), but it was totally free (not as in freedom) while they considered it would be best to let people test it, which caused me some serious data loss back in the day. I have daily backups, but it made me lose whole days of work. Syncthing is not stable, but at least they don't claim it to be, neither has it caused me any grave problems.
                  Last edited by teresaejunior; 18 February 2016, 06:46 PM.

Comment

I'm not trusting BitTorrent Sync considering that it is non-free software.

Comment

Working...
                    X