Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE Is Making It Easier To Try Out The Latest KDE Stack

Phoronix: OpenSUSE Is Making It Easier To Try Out The Latest KDE Stack

While KDE Neon was recently announced as an effort providing bleeding-edge KDE packages for Ubuntu, openSUSE developers have launched Krypton and Argon as their own similar initiatives...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How can OpenSuse support this when they've just announced they can't support Tumbleweed adequately?

Comment

openSUSE has these repositories since ages and also since ages SUSE Studio can be used to do exactly that. This is just making regular ISOs from those foundations.
      As much as I like the work Blue Systems is doing, Jonathan Riddel has an unhealthy obsession with Ubuntu. “KDE Neon” is just lipstick on a pig. openSUSE has always been a better KDE distribution than Ubuntu and thanks to Riddel's obsession he rather wastes resources on Ubuntu packages than to work on the objectively better solution.

Originally posted by buzzrobot View Post
      How can OpenSuse support this when they've just announced they can't support Tumbleweed adequately?
      The announcement about workers is confusing. The terms means means hardware to compile new Tumbleweed ISOs each week. The updates within the repos are provided as usual.

Comment

Probably he just haven't use anything else but debian packaging...

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          ...Riddel has an unhealthy obsession with Ubuntu...
          To be fair, I've found SuSE package management to be a huge pain, and the lack of a "App Store"-like package manager is a big deal for someone new to the OS. Obviously on Ubuntu I use the command line because APT is awesome (rather I know it and it's packages' names from years of experience), but YaST package management is intimidating and strange...

Why would I bother figuring it out when I'm already familiar with Debian-family linuxs?

I really think openSuSE KDE needs something like the Muon suite.
          This forum post described my qualm: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...packages-alone
          Last edited by lunarcloud; 19 February 2016, 12:32 PM. Reason: Less verbose

Comment

Where did they announce such a thing?
            They just said that one of their server machines for openQA died. But they did want to replace it anyway and the new hardware was already orderd some days ago. They are now discussing if the old machine heard of the new one and decided to quit because of this :P

But even if openQA servers would all die forever this would not affect the power of OBS (which is needed for the mentioned git kde packages).

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post

To be fair, I've found SuSE package management to be a huge pain, and the lack of a "App Store"-like package manager is a big deal for someone new to the OS. Obviously on Ubuntu I use the command line because APT is awesome (rather I know it and it's packages' names from years of experience), but YaST package management is intimidating and strange...
              interesting. its not thaaat difficult to learn

sudo zypper up - to update all your packages
              sudo zypper dup - to switch to a new version of opensuse after adding the new repos
              sudo zypper ar url - to add a new repo - if you need a url go to http://software.opensuse.org and search for the package you need
              sudo zypper in foo - to install foo
              sudo zypper rm foo - to uninstall foo
              sudo zypper se foo - to search for all packages containing foo

you do not need more as a normal user and it is far faster than apt-get stuff. And the conflict handling is much better too. You do not need yast gui at all if you do not like it. And if you want an appstore go for apper (kde) or gnome-packages.

If you want to know more, just ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                you do not need more as a normal user and it is far faster than apt-get stuff. And the conflict handling is much better too. You do not need yast gui at all if you do not like it. And if you want an appstore go for apper (kde) or gnome-packages.
                I've read some articles on how badly Apper integrates with SuSE. Also "conflict handling"? I've not had any packages conflict for years now, even with millions of PPAs added. But, that's precisely my issue, Last time I had it actually installed, I wanted up-to-date KDE stuff and when I added the new repository, it listed both repo's versions instead of just the latest one. And zypper takes FOREVER it also wants to update the whole package database unless you specifically tell it not to.

I'm sure you can do all the same things in zypper as you can in apt, I just didn't find it as good. It would have to be better than apt for me to want to switch from Kubuntu. SuSE was less pleasant than my current stuff, it would have to be more, not just equally as, pleasant for me to bother right now.

That said, I'm very glad that the KDE Neon stuff has prompted them to use their wonderful OBS infrastructure to make these two projects! I'm still not convinced Neon would be right for me to switch to either, because of their insistence on using LTS bases.

Comment

The problem with openQA workers was a temporary one, that was since fixed using hardware borrowed from SUSE (new hardware was already on order, just hasn't turned up yet).

It was important to explain why we hadn't had a snapshot in a few days, after all Tumbleweed users are used to updates 5 times a week

To be fair, I've found SuSE package management to be a huge pain, and the lack of a "App Store"-like package manager is a big deal for someone new to the OS
                  Then use openSUSE GNOME, we have gnome-software. It's bloody good, so good I hear even a distribution with a reputation for not using software they invent are dropping their App Store to use it
                  Last edited by sysrich; 19 February 2016, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sysrich View Post
                    Then use openSUSE GNOME, we have gnome-software. It's bloody good, so good I hear even a distribution with a reputation for not using software they invent are dropping their App Store to use it
                    I'm super happy that Ubuntu is going to switch to Gnome Software! It's good for them to admit when their efforts have stagnated and that another community's solution is better every now and then. They did that with supporting Debian's systemd decision, too.

And I'm not giving up on Qt-based desktops quite yet. I like Martin's work too much to give up kwin. Dolphin, Kate, Kdenlive, and Krita are also my jam. I'd be installing half of KDE on top of GNOME if I were to really use it.

Comment

Working...
                    X