Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early OpenGL vs. Vulkan Linux Benchmarks With Talos Principle

Phoronix: Early OpenGL vs. Vulkan Linux Benchmarks With Talos Principle

Now that with a workaround it's possible getting Talos Principle playing fine on Linux with the Vulkan renderer, here are the first OpenGL vs. Vulkan benchmarks atop Ubuntu and tests done with the NVIDIA beta driver on a few graphics cards as well as attempted trying an Intel Skylake system with the open-source Mesa Vulkan/Anvil code.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please test Intel, if Nvidia didn't exist at all it would have been better. Thanks.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      Please test Intel, if Nvidia didn't exist at all it would have been better. Thanks.
      Did you read the article? I did test Intel, and it didn't work out.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Forgive me if this is a silly question, but Micheal are you using the Steam beta that has Vulkan support or the stable version of Steam?

Comment

Interesting all of the Windows Tests I have seen (both NVIDIA and AMD) indicated better performance than OpenGL, but worse than DX11 in all resolutions.

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post
            Forgive me if this is a silly question, but Micheal are you using the Steam beta that has Vulkan support or the stable version of Steam?
            I am using the Steam beta and the ihvbeta of Talos.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              Interesting all of the Windows Tests I have seen (both NVIDIA and AMD) indicated better performance than OpenGL, but worse than DX11 in all resolutions.
              because tje opengl drivers from nvidia are working better in linux, 3 years of good working in ogl drivers becausa steamOS

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                because tje opengl drivers from nvidia are working better in linux, 3 years of good working in ogl drivers becausa steamOS

NVIDIA shares the same OpenGL driver across operating systems and I have always had the same performance on both Windows and Linux when I tested it.
                Sometimes Linux was only marginally faster, but in the Vulkan benchmarks I have seen Vulkan was significantly faster than OpenGL on NVIDIA on Windows up to 34% at 1080 and still 18% at 1440p.

Comment

That's really bizarre that Vulkan performance is faster than GL on windows but slower on Linux. The NVidia drivers are generally performing about the same on both.

It sounds to me like the NVidia Vulkan performance on Linux just isn't as good right now, for whatever reason. Unless someone can show that the GL performance is better under linux on this game, which seems doubtful.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    That's really bizarre that Vulkan performance is faster than GL on windows but slower on Linux. The NVidia drivers are generally performing about the same on both.
                    Notice that Linux and Windows Vulkan drivers are derived from different branches: Nvidia 355.xx and 356 respectively.

Comment

Working...
                    X