Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Skylake Xeon Benchmarks Have You Been Dreaming About? A 9-Way Comparison Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Skylake Xeon Benchmarks Have You Been Dreaming About? A 9-Way Comparison Coming

Phoronix: What Skylake Xeon Benchmarks Have You Been Dreaming About? A 9-Way Comparison Coming

There isn't much a better joy in life than unexpectedly finding nine Intel latest-generation (Skylake) Xeon processors at your doorstep...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice score!

I would love to see some comparisons against the Xeon D CPUs in terms of server performance

Comment

As the models with 0 at the end don't have got IGP I would use the fastest one for GFX card tests. But don't use a board which is limited to PCI-E 2.0. No H110, minimum B150, best Z170 with a firmware that allows BLK OC if needed. As you have got a nice collection find the fastest chip in OC mode and use that for GFX card tests. If you don't like OC then use the E3-1280 V5. The currently used i7 without OC is always limiting 1080p results and 4k well, not everybody has got the needed screen to benchmark against.

Comment

I want to see performance per watt and per $ for memory bound tasks such as CFD (dolphyn, NAS, ...)

Comment

Compare them with a FX-8350/70 at least, at server workload (Apache, disk, RAID computing, compilation, virtualisation, etc)

Comment

Yep, one AMD in the mix plz

Comment

Michael, I know kernel timed compilation is a mandatory test when you do these comparisons, but I'd like to see a timed compilation of a much bigger and complex package like qt 5.5.1. I took the configuration options from arch's build page (https://projects.archlinux.org/svnto...h=packages/qt5)

./configure -confirm-license -opensource -prefix /usr -bindir /usr/lib/qt/bin -docdir /usr/share/doc/qt -headerdir /usr/include/qt -archdatadir /usr/lib/qt -datadir /usr/share/qt -sysconfdir /etc/xdg -examplesdir /usr/share/doc/qt/examples -plugin-sql-{psql,mysql,sqlite,odbc,ibase} -system-sqlite -openssl-linked -nomake examples -no-rpath -optimized-qmake -dbus-linked -system-harfbuzz -journald -libinput

qt-5 takes hours on even the best cpus now, so I'd like to see how these units deal with it. If possible and if you're a patient man, I'd like to see "make -j1 vs make -jN" where N is the number of threads each unit has.

And I'd love to see the same compilation done with llvm/clang.
              Last edited by chepati; 20 February 2016, 06:52 AM. Reason: Fixed formatting.

Comment

something that utilizes avx512

Comment

@chepati: There's a webkit build profile, though I suspect Michael doesn't use it since it has some manual deps not yet handled by PTS. And it would need an update to webkitFLTK 0.4, besides adding the missing deps to PTS. It takes over an hour to build too.

Comment

I would love to see how multisocket scales.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X