Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRI2 vs. DRI3 Benchmarks With Intel Skylake HD Graphics 530

Phoronix: DRI2 vs. DRI3 Benchmarks With Intel Skylake HD Graphics 530

While DRI3 appears to be in good shape with the latest X.Org Server series and Direct Rendering Infrastructure 3 is even mandated by the Intel Mesa Vulkan driver, DRI2 is still the default with the xf86-video-intel DDX driver, similar to the situation in the Radeon DDX driver as well.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why is DRI2 still the default? And when do they plan to switch to DRI3 by default?
    Is there a list of blocker bugs which prevent them to do so?

Comment

interesting, thank you!

Comment

Would have been nice to see DRI3 GL vs DRI3 Vulkan.

We all knew DRI3 was better than DRI2 (glad to see that's still the case with vulkan DRI3) still like to see if DRI3 with vulkan is an improvement or not over the GL vulkan.

Comment

I still use an Ironlake based laptop when I'm away from home. You mentioned DRI3 can reduce tearing, can my laptop's GPU support DRI3? It tears badly on watching video, and I've only ever been able to get xv to render at speeds good enough to watch. It's perfectly fine for standard definition, but just need some advice on video tearing.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
            Would have been nice to see DRI3 GL vs DRI3 Vulkan.

We all knew DRI3 was better than DRI2 (glad to see that's still the case with vulkan DRI3) still like to see if DRI3 with vulkan is an improvement or not over the GL vulkan.
            The main Vulkan test case right now, Talos Principle, doesn't yet work properly in conjunction with the Intel Mesa Vulkan driver as explained yesterday.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Intel haswell gpu here.
              Manjaro KDE.
              With DRI3 after a ~day of uptime I get hit with this bug https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=84252
              With DRI2 panel flickers/flashes all the time. And at random all screen flickers.

How "smart" I was to buy all Intel laptop (headbang)...

Comment

soo looks like anything that was actually cpu bound is better on DRI3 (less overhead). anything rendering bound (Unigine) does not care ...

Comment

Originally posted by schnelle View Post
                  Intel haswell gpu here.
                  Manjaro KDE.
                  With DRI3 after a ~day of uptime I get hit with this bug https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=84252
                  With DRI2 panel flickers/flashes all the time. And at random all screen flickers.

How "smart" I was to buy all Intel laptop (headbang)...

Try using DRI3 + UXA. SNA is unholly mess. I wonder if Michael could compare DRI2 UXA/SNA vs DRI3 UXA/SNA. It's expected that SNA will win, but UXA is definitely less buggy. I've been using DRI3 + UXA for some months now, zero issues. While I was using SNA, there wasn't a day that I didn't get hit by one ... Sad but true.

Comment

Michael
                    You can add DiRT Showdown and Bioshock Infinite benchmarks with this as startup command: MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.1 MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=410 %command%
                    Last edited by Kano; 20 February 2016, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X