Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shashlik 0.9 Released For Running Android Apps On Linux

Phoronix: Shashlik 0.9 Released For Running Android Apps On Linux

Shashlik is the KDE-aligned project for running Android apps on Linux outside of a traditional Android environment. A new version of this open-source project is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There is a shashlik for that...

I wonder if authors somehow related to ruby world, where you faced with Cucumber, Capybara, Tarantula and their friends.

Comment

"You can download the (K)ubuntu-compatible package from from here (Note: this is currently tested only to work under a KDE Plasma 5 environment)."

So, one needs a kde 5 environment to use this. Sad, as I'm still on Ubuntu 14.04 until the 16.04.1. Too bad I don't know how to use LXD or other container tech so I can try this out.

Comment

if the package has any native code, there must be x86 binary support.
        Why? Does Shashlik only run on x86?

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post

another way to say it is: if an app has native compiled code that isnt interpreted by dalvik, that code needs to be compiled for x86, which might be uncommon since most native apps are probably designed with arm android in mind.
          if it needs to run some part of the app as a binary, you cannot expect arm binaries to work on x86.

or am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by nilssab View Post

another way to say it is: if an app has native compiled code that isnt interpreted by dalvik, that code needs to be compiled for x86, which might be uncommon since most native apps are probably designed with arm android in mind.
            if it needs to run some part of the app as a binary, you cannot expect arm binaries to work on x86.

I haven't specifically tried yet, but I don't see any reason why those devs couldn't get qemu to run the arm binary portion of andriod apps. I'm certain qemu could do it if it was set up right. (ASOP would have the libs needed for the majority of apps)
            Last edited by duby229; 21 February 2016, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nilssab View Post

Many Apps like Whatsapp ( which has native code ) have x86 Libs as there a x86 devices.

Comment

So the question is would an apk with native ARM code work on ARM under Shashlik? I would guess so and it was ARM I am hoping to run it on. I didn't plan on installing half of KDE to do it though.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post

I think that is just a simplification which assumes that the computer this runs on is x86 (like most desktop and laptop PCs).

I think what it meant to say is that if an application has native code, it needs to have the native binary for the platform Shashlik runs on.

Cheers,
                  _

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
                    [/SIZE]
                    I think that is just a simplification which assumes that the computer this runs on is x86 (like most desktop and laptop PCs).

I think what it meant to say is that if an application has native code, it needs to have the native binary for the platform Shashlik runs on.

Cheers,
                    _
                    Yes, that's what I was wondering about. There is this general assumption that everyone runs on x86 and, at least for me, that is becoming less and less true. duby229 also touches on this. It's very common to just throw non-native code into QEMU. I mean, you're already linking against KDE and all of it's baggage, why not throw in QEMU? Any emulator of a different OS is bound to be a dogs breakfast of crazy libraries linked in the strangest ways.

Comment

Working...
                    X