Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC vs. Clang On POWER8 Is A Competitive Compiler Match

Phoronix: GCC vs. Clang On POWER8 Is A Competitive Compiler Match

Most often when running GCC vs. LLVM Clang compiler benchmark comparisons it's done on Intel/AMD x86 hardware or occasionally on ARM when benchmarking an interesting ARMv7/ARMv8 system. However, in having remote access last weekend to the prototype of the Talos Secure Workstation powered by a POWER8 design, I was very anxious to run some compiler benchmarks to see how these open-source compilers compete on the alternative architecture.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What optimization level did you use?
    I noticed that clang/llvm does a lot more aggressive optimizations at -O2 which GCC enables only at -O3, especially vectorization. To me it seems that only at -O3 both compilers generate comparable code. GCC left at defaults likes to play it safer.
    Last edited by mlau; 22 February 2016, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Any reason you're not using Clang/LLVM 3.7.1?

Comment

This is not 64 cores, but 8 cores with 8 threads per core.
        Also I can only second the question of Marc why you have not used clang/llvm 3.7.1. It's actually pretty easy to compile by yourself if it's not available in Debian testing yet.

Comment

Working...
        X