Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCZ Trion 150 Budget SSD On Linux

Phoronix: OCZ Trion 150 Budget SSD On Linux

The Trion 150 has been generating a fair amount of buzz since its release back in January as being a nice budget solid-state drive ideal for first-time SSD buyers. The Trion 150 is a true budget SSD with the 480GB SATA 3.0 drive retailing for just $140 USD, or about 30 cents per GB. Tests and results of the OCZ Trion 150 under Windows have been rather favorable so I figured it would be interesting to test out this drive under Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

960 GB for $269? That's really starting to close in on spinny magnets. 3.5 inch spinny magnets top out at 6 TB these days, so we are probably looking at a similar storage density, i.e. per the space consumed by the drive itself. Price has a little ways to go, but we are starting into the TB territory now within a normal person's budget.

Comment

Naturally, durability is a factor untestable here, but a key factor for purchase and use. As I know, OCZ has reported some early troubles with durability of the Trion SSD when being (standard frequence) overwriten...

Comment

Originally posted by pjezek View Post
        Naturally, durability is a factor untestable here, but a key factor for purchase and use. As I know, OCZ has reported some early troubles with durability of the Trion SSD when being (standard frequence) overwriten...
        That's probably not OCZ-specific, but rather a downside of planar TLC. Some claim the advertised (or rather, not advertised and kept under the rug as much as possible) 1000 p/e cycles of planar TLC to be enough for home use. But I think if you move large files around frequently, you can actually hit the durability wall.

Comment

Working...
        X