Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Ships Android 6.0 For The SHIELD TV With Vulkan Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA Ships Android 6.0 For The SHIELD TV With Vulkan Support

NVIDIA today pushed out the big Android 6.0 "Marshmallow" update to SHIELD TV owners and with this update comes support for the Vulkan graphics API...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really nice to get an official update with Vulkan so soon. I would like got get an official Android image for the Jetson TK1 (should be similar to the Shield Tablet anyway). But the chip is 32 bit only, no idea if Vulkan works with 32+64 bit on Android...

Comment

Could possibly this Vulkan support translate in more multi platform (PC) games for the Shiled TV, even being this device a 64bit ARM SoC? I hope so.
      Last edited by AlexFonewn; 22 February 2016, 05:16 PM. Reason: typed 60bit instead of 64bit

Comment

Originally posted by AlexFonewn View Post
        Could possibly this Vulkan support translate in more multi platform (PC) games for the Shiled TV, even being this device a 60bit ARM SoC? I hope so.
        Why would it? The graphics API was never the thing stopping ports from happening, it's the CPU related programming.

Comment

Hopefully they've published kernel sources and any binary blobs.

Comment

welcome to vulkan and a further 64bit progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

Why would it? The graphics API was never the thing stopping ports from happening, it's the CPU related programming.

at least as far as my guess goes. vulkan by it self doesn't, shield does. unlike most android devices which have different input and small screen, shield uses big screen and controller. once there and since android is more or less linux for big games that avoid as much interface to work directly on hw... not much is to be done to get it on run of the mill distro. once you add vulkan on this, story changes
              Last edited by justmy2cents; 22 February 2016, 07:18 PM.

Comment

At least I can use my 27" monitor that's connected to my Shield via my receiver and I can play games with Full RGB range.

I've been keeping track of the Shield Android TV update request thread in GeForce Now forum, but did not register.

Comment

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
                  Hopefully they've published kernel sources and any binary blobs.
                  The drivers for the Tegra family are open source, see: https://developer.nvidia.com/shield-open-source

Comment

Working...
                  X