Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARM Announces Cortex-A32 As A Tiny, 32-bit ARMv8 CPU

Phoronix: ARM Announces Cortex-A32 As A Tiny, 32-bit ARMv8 CPU

ARM Holdings today announced the release of the ARM Cortex-A32 as a smaller version of the Cortex-A35 processor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now I'm confused. So does this mean that this lacks ARMv8's 64bit mode and that the 32bit mode on these processors is somehow different from ARMv7?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
      Now I'm confused. So does this mean that this lacks ARMv8's 64bit mode and that the 32bit mode on these processors is somehow different from ARMv7?

Comment

Yes on both count. kwahoo 's slide are clear: ARMv8 32-bit mode is ARMv7 + some new instructions (mostly SIMD I think).

Comment

The thing is that most arm devices don't have user upgradeable RAM. So basically all of them will have the same amount of RAM on it's last day that it had on it's first day.I really don't think many end users would notice one tiny little bit of a difference. The people that will notice the difference are the hackers unlocking bootloaders and compiling new ROMS. So I don't see much of a point. It seems like a waste engineering resources and fab allocation.

It's something that will make zero difference except irk the poeple that have another platform to support.

Comment

I used to think Intel had confusing product names, but I just can't keep up with ARM's anymore. The Cortex names seem so meaningless now.

As for this chip being 32 bit, isn't that going to seriously complicate things for developers if this is ARMv8?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              It's something that will make zero difference except irk the poeple that have another platform to support.
              The people that count are the people manufacturing devices, since they're the ones who purchase chips. What it means for a consumer is longer battery life and lower cost, so I don't think it's a waste of production resources.

The lack of upgradeable RAM is unlikely to make any difference. When was the last time you upgraded the RAM on your phone, or your fridge, or your in-car infotainment console?

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
                The people that count are the people manufacturing devices, since they're the ones who purchase chips. What it means for a consumer is longer battery life and lower cost, so I don't think it's a waste of production resources.

The lack of upgradeable RAM is unlikely to make any difference. When was the last time you upgraded the RAM on your phone, or your fridge, or your in-car infotainment console?
                I disagree with you very much. There are already extremely low power devices available. This device will do nothing more than displace resources. And the lack of upgradeable RAM is exactly the point. Nobody will know any difference, except those folks that need to hack the device and compile ROMs for the device. Device manufacturers already have viable products to choose from that have already been hacked and are already supported.

EDIT: Let's face reality here. Most people want bling and wouldn't know the difference between processor architectures if their life depended on it. The -only- people this will matter to is those that will need to support it. I'm personally convinced it'll be irksome at best.
                Last edited by duby229; 23 February 2016, 10:47 AM.

Comment

It has two 32bit modes, the v7 and the aarch32. The interesting thing is if it can run aarch32, I thought that still required 64bit mode.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    The thing is that most arm devices don't have user upgradeable RAM.
                    That is an Artifact of the embedded systems focus for most of these processors. Nothing abiutnAR mm processors prevents expandable RAM systems. Expandable RAM thought just does make sense for the targeted use cases.
                    So basically all of them will have the same amount of RAM on it's last day that it had on it's first day.
                    This is bad how?
                    I really don't think many end users would notice one tiny little bit of a difference. The people that will notice the difference are the hackers unlocking bootloaders and compiling new ROMS. So I don't see much of a point. It seems like a waste engineering resources and fab allocation.
                    I do wonder why they bother with 32 bit hardware, in the form of an applications processor.
                    On the flip side at least ARM is actually delivering new hardware. Even if it is 32 bit, we are still seeing innovation. This is more that what we see out of AMD and Intel of late.

Comment

Working...
                    X